Sign in to follow this  

Any dual sport riders in the Fresno areaa?

Hi,

I'm kind of new to the area....been here since mid April and bought a 2001 DRZ400E with a license!!

Have ridden twice; once up to the Shaver Lake area and then up to Bass Lake last weekend. Had a great ride up to the lookout at Shut Eye Peak. Nice ranger at the tower that plays the fiddle (pretty good too) and welcomes all visitors!

Until I can get a hitch installed, I've been forced to ride to both areas from NE Fresno. It's a bit tough on the backside, but sure fun once you get to the dirt!

Wondering if there are others in the area interested in meeting up, planning some new routes, and taking off?

Any interest in our area for a dual sport club, putting on some TSD rallies (if you can get a Forest Service permit), or organizing some rides and weekends out?

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts

check with Robert at Cycle Gear for info on guys in the area. Also the BMW shop has lots of guys into that stuff. I just ride dirt so I cant be of any direct help....Did you ride the 007 trail on the Shuteye trip? Its a trail that starts on the left right where you pull in off of the pavement and comes back out onto the main dirt road a few miles up.

Hi Mike,

Thanks alot for the reply!!

I will check with Robert and the BMW shop.

I was just not sure if there is any interest in the area for some sort of an organization...and I never meant to exclude anyone...sorry!

I am just looking for people to ride with and maybe we could certainly plan some events if people were interested.

Otherwise, I am just looking to find some riding partners!

Thanks again for your reply and hope we can meet someday and go for a ride!

I think this weekend was my third time riding...so I'm a bit new to this. I have stayed on the main dirt roads and then ventured off to the lookout tower at Shuteye peak. I would like to try the trail you're talking about, but have not gotten that "brave" while riding alone...LOL!!

Stay in touch,

George

thats a good plan to not venture too far off road without a partner. The 007 trail is an easy one tho so if you go slow you will be all right.

Right now its hunting season and preparing for the desert at Thanksgiving, Ive got to do a motor swap, clutch, tires and a few other things and waiting for rain. It may rain this weekend tho so you never know, might want to do an afternoon, but I only have dirtbikes.

Sounds like I need to look at 007...sounds ok!!

Thanks for the info.

If it's not raining, I am considering going up again on Saturday...one of these days, I better stay home and get a hitch installed so I can trailer the darn thing up there....although a couple of the twisty roads are even fun on the knobbies!

Sounds like you have alot of work to do...!!

Let me know if you are ready to ride one of these days!

Thanks alot, Mike

George

Ya George, get the hitch on would ya. I'm afraid so much time on pavement might have you contemplating selling the DRZ and buying a Goldwing...lol

Hey Scott,

Too funny...think I'll pass on the Goldwing; am actually having fun on the DRZ both on and off the pavement...LOL!!

Let me know when you can ride again and we'll go!

I called today actually to schedule the hitch installation and didn't hear back. Hope it can go on next week. Think I'm going to try and ride tomorrow up around Bass Lake again...just have to check the weather!

Keep in touch,

George

I live in madera and I am doing a 300 mile dual sport ride the 22-23 of oct. Ridgecrest to lone pine and back Email if you would like to go

Hi Bhar,

Thanks for the reply and invitation...I would have loved to make the ride, but I just got the message today...10/28/05!!!!!

Let's try again,

George

Hey all, I know that this is a late post on this thread but it matched what I was looking for. I just moved to NE Fresno in the last month.. I have a 1990 DR350S that I am currently trying to get going I have been riding street bikes most my life. ( Right now I have a 2008 Triumph tiger 1050)  but recently started some off road on a 2004 Yamoto 200gy (fun but literally a under powered toy) I have ridden the DR  and love the feel but it is not reliable and almost impossible to start. I digress. I am used to having riding in the backyard ( in Utah) so with the new area, I am looking for areas to ride (short tune rides as well as good trails to spend at least a few hours on).. Thanks in advance for any info! 

welcome to tt, you do know this thread is 10 years old? ya good dirt in the hills right now.

• Like 1

welcome to tt, you do know this thread is 10 years old? ya good dirt in the hills right now.

Yea, I knew it was older but it was the right topic so I figured i would just tag on.. are there any good "ride to" areas or are they all load and go  like up by shafer lake? 

got to ADVRIDER and find the central valley dual sport rides thread....lots of guys riding this area now

Adam, is it gonna be muddy, sloppy or all snow this weekend at Miami or Whiskey now after the rain/snow?

Edited by Mike in Fresno

Let that rain soak in, miami after a rain is only good for fire roads. The single track is getting bad from the last two heavy rains.

Yes,I was in Fresno for a few months this year for work, And theres some really good guys up there.  I got to take part in Mikes First Annual Shuteye Cookout and it was pretty Fun.  Mike actually saved my ass on the way down, when I was heading off in the wrong direction, I would have probably been lost for hours had he not seem me.  Head over to ADVrider where you will find most of the dualsporters!

Ray

got to ADVRIDER and find the central valley dual sport rides thread....lots of guys riding this area now

Adam, is it gonna be muddy, sloppy or all snow this weekend at Miami or Whiskey now after the rain/snow?

I think the lower part around kamook at miami would be rideable. anything up higher would probably be snowed out.

I think the lower part around kamook at miami would be rideable. anything up higher would probably be snowed out.

Hey guys. I road Miami this past weekend and will be there Saturday morning as well so I thought I'd chime in.

The rain didn't hurt the trails at all. There are a few areas that have some deep mud holes but nothing you can't get around. Aside from that the dirt was great. It was actually dusty in the lower areas, no snow at all up high.