Sign in to follow this  

1980 yamaha tt250 fork seal ?

I finally got my neglected yamaha tt250 running after being parked many years. Have had a lot of fun on woods trails up here! The fork seals are leaking so tonight I took off the forks but could not get at the seal. The service manual says to do the following:

1. remove fork legs from bike

2. remove caps and drain oil from both fork tubes

3. remove the special bolt from bottom of outer tubes

4. remove inner tube and damper assembly

5. pull out damper assembly

6. to replace fork seal, remove wire clip from outer tube

7. carefully pry out old seal without damaging fork tube

8. insert new seal "open side down using large socket and steel hammer.

I can't get past step 3 as the "special" bolt, which is an allen head just spins and does not come out and I can't seperate the tubes. I've tried all kinds of things like pushing the tubes together while turning the "special" allen head bolt and pulling the tubes apart while turning the "special" bolt.

Is there some sort of trick to get the tubes apart and get at the fork seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use a 3/8" air impact gun to remove most fork damrener rod retaining screws. You'll need an "allen wrench" with a 3/8" socket head in the correct 8mm size. If that doesn't work right away then you can use a dampeing rod holding tool (Motion Pro brand)on a long extension (Fork cap, fork oil, and frok springs removed first) to hold the rod while you blast off the 8mm allen bolt, most of the time the air impact gun is all that is needed.

Once the d-rod retaining bolt is out (watch for a sealing washer too, don't lose it!) the fork will slide apart . Then the real fun begins, getting the seals out!!

OD

Put the spring back in and cap back on. Then turn the fork upside down and compress it while turning the bolt. Once you get the bolt out and all the guts out you will need a vise. Well a vise will make it alot easier. Pry the dust seal up and remove the wire clip. Clamp the lower leg across the axle hole then slide hammer the tubes apart. If you have a propane torch and heat the lower leg in the seal area they will come apart much easier. You really should replace the bushings too. Set the oil-height at 6".

Thank's for the info guys. I had removed the caps and spring so I will try putting them back on and then trying to get the allen head out.

If that doesn't work, and if you don't have access to an impact wrench, the other option, as I recall, is to string togather all the extentions you can find (hit up all your buddies) and use a socket wrench to hold the bolt from the inside -- it seems like it is also an allen fitting as well, but it is about 20 years since I did this so don't quote me on that!

I just did this on my bike and encountered the same problem. I noticed hex notches at the top of the tube the bolt is screwed into. So I dropped a Motrax 19x24x22 front wheel axel tool down the tube with the 22mm end down. Then using a 19mm socket and 14" of extensions, I was able to hold the tube from spinning and removed the bolt with hand tools. Used the same tool to tighten it. It's basically a short Allen wrench for the large axel Allen wrench sockets on Suzuki and other bikes. Its a common and cheap tool that you might already have.