Sign in to follow this  

Tight Trail Turns.

Hi, i was just wondering how to do a tight turn on a trail. E.g. when you are going down a narrow trail and you need to turn round to go back the other way. how do you guys approach these times?

I usually dismount, and wrestle it around or lift the back end up and push/pull or put the kickstand down, tilt the bike's weight off the wheels and onto the stand, and spin. A way to really impress your buds is to get to one 'side' of the single-track, put your inside foot on the ground, pop the front wheel up, spin. Then there is always the 'half-donut' leaving the front wheel on the ground. Just depends on the trail and what conditions.

I do the same as DRT.

I put the kickstand down, lift the bike up, and pivot it around the kickstand. I try to lift as much of the weight of the bike as I can so there is just a little bit on the kickstand.

I use the foot down, pop the front wheel up and then flip the bike around on the rear tire for a 180 degree turn with no damage to the trail.

Alternate method on a steep side-hill trail is to do a shorter version to the up-hill side and let the engine die in gear to hold the rear tire on the trail then pull back on the bars in a series of front wheel lifts till you have hopped the front around to the 180 degree position. With most of the weight on the rear tire and the front up on the bank, it's easy to tug the front tire up and around.

I do it in one motion, but then I have a 145 pound Trials Machine.. an unfair advantage. :banghead::banghead:

how do you do a half donut? is it just tilt the bike right over and give it some throttle to spin the back wheel around?

how do you do a half donut? is it just tilt the bike right over and give it some throttle to spin the back wheel around?

Yep. The first time you try it, do it on gravel or some other loose surface so you are garunteed to break the reat tire loose. Once you get the feel for it, then you'll be comfortable doing it on any type of surface.

Try to practice the half donut in some leaves or something. You're gunna want to keep your foot down with only a little weight on the bike, give some throttle until you feel the back spinning a little, lean to whatever side and the bike should practically turn itself

I bust out through the woods finding a new line back where I want to be, its good practice and a lot more fun than hand turning. Live a little their only trees and vines :banghead:

Don't do the kickstand maneuver with a KTM.

The 180/half donut turn can be tightened up quite a bit if you lean the bike into the leg that is planted on the ground (I do it just behind the tank and lean the bike into the area between the side and back of my thigh) and use the leg kind of like a kickstand to take some of the bike weight and I'll even give the bike a push with the leg.

The other method I use a lot is a 3pt turn where I get the bike close to the bank, back the bike up with the wheel turned to get the front end pointed toward the bank, drive the bike straight up the bank, turn the wheel and back down. It's the simplest.