Sign in to follow this  

450 X Engine Noise

I recently bought a CRF 450X, but I am a little worried. I have always heard that a lot of the 450 thumpers have a lot of engine vibration, but my new 450X almost sounds as if it's knocking when idling. When I roll the throttle everything seems to be okay. Is this normal for these bikes. I also have a DRZ 400 but it does not sound anything like the X. By the way the DRZ is for sale.

the crf's are quite noisy and even more so if you have a skid plate

Bryce

• Like 1

I recently bought a CRF 450X, but I am a little worried. I have always heard that a lot of the 450 thumpers have a lot of engine vibration, but my new 450X almost sounds as if it's knocking when idling. When I roll the throttle everything seems to be okay. Is this normal for these bikes. I also have a DRZ 400 but it does not sound anything like the X. By the way the DRZ is for sale.

They do seem to make a lot of unnecessary noise that seems to be normal for this engine. I don't like it but thats the way it is.

I vibrates a lot it knocks a lot, it pops out the carb at idle, it whistles upon mild acceleration ( I think from the crankcase breather?), the piston slaps around, and it runs great too.

I have read some posts about guys who have had abnormal noises and soon thereafter their engine has unraveled but I would imagine that the engine was really banging or vibrating...?

Did you purchase new or used, if from a dealer bring over for inspection.

It makes more noise than your DRZ but after a couple rides you won't notice it. It will be normal. I came off a DRZ too. The 450X seems to be the common replacement for the DRZ.

• Like 1

Ditto. Off the Z on the X. Much better suspension. Much lighter feeling. The noise is normal (I think). When I hit the kill button on mine it sounds like a "rod a knockin'". But nothin's broke yet. The first time I heard it it scared the crap out of me.

• Like 1