Sign in to follow this  

hare scramble woods courtesy

I am entering my first hare scramble race and was woundering if any body can tell me if I should pull over when a faster rider is behind or just hold my line and point. thanks and all the other faster riders will thank you too.

hold your line. dont let him pass you, that's a SURE sign that you arent out there to win. let the fast SOB pass you if he wants

ttr, if its his first harescramble, I guessing that he's refering to later in the race when he's getting lapped. The last thing a newbie needs to do is challenge the race leader in that situation and cost him a race.

marcas, the best way to do it is to hold your line to one side or the other. Just don't ride down the middle and make any sudden line changes.

huhmm if you hear me yelling behind you... you better move... faster riders will follow for a short time.. then start yelling MOVE IT !!.. you'll feel the pressure... so move and let the faster rider past.

no need to be an a$$... remember you have a numberplate ... your not anonymous out there, some riders are very serious in there racing endeavors.. they will remember the number of the rider who "held them up" from a first place win, especially if its a rider from another class.

just move, let em by if your being pressured.

thanks fo r all the input as I do not want to slow the faster riders up great fourum

Always move over, but give yourself several seconds to find a decent spot to do it.

You don't have to totally get off the trail, just stay to one side long enough for him to get by.

Also, make sure he's right on your tail so he'll be able to get by quickly.

Forget what the the other guy said, anybody that holds people up for more than 10-15 seconds deserves to get knocked into a tree.

Always move over, but give yourself several seconds to find a decent spot to do it.

You don't have to totally get off the trail, just stay to one side long enough for him to get by.

Also, make sure he's right on your tail so he'll be able to get by quickly.

Forget what the the other guy said, anybody that holds people up for more than 10-15 seconds deserves to get knocked into a tree.

you know what, its not HIS problem to get out of HIS way to let the other guy pass him. its the faster rider's problem to find a way to get around him. now, if you werent racing, i would get out of the way. but it IS racing, and everyone is out to win

you know what, its not HIS problem to get out of HIS way to let the other guy pass him. its the faster rider's problem to find a way to get around him. now, if you werent racing, i would get out of the way. but it IS racing, and everyone is out to win

I totally agree with you, if the rider behind you is in your class, you should do what you can to lose him or hold him up, but if the rider is in a different class you should hold your line to one side of the trail and let them pass.

hold your line. dont let him pass you, that's a SURE sign that you arent out there to win. let the fast SOB pass you if he wants

nice, so he's an sob because he's fast, :banghead:. I'm assuming it's your first few races, so in that case you will feel the pressure, it's prolly best to pull over and let them by. As you get faster and have more experience you will know when they come up on you, and know where to go. The point method works well, I like it when people do that, or just move. Either one is good, as long as you don't slow him up too much.

If he's in your class, then just start going faster.. :banghead:

If they can catch you it doesn't matter what class you or they are in, they're faster than you and should be in front, then you can try to keep up and might learn something. In most of the races I've been in theres no way to pass unless the slower rider moves. If they don't seem to be very much faster than you, then don't worry about them UNLESS they start yelling, then move if they do.

If its your first race you will think your standing still compared to the guys lapping you :banghead:

Heres a link to some info on passing:

... ok maybe not,

well go here http://sera.dirtrider.net/SERAhmFr1.html and click on "Enduro Basics" then "Passing Etiquette". Its for enduros but its the same thing for HS.

I'm at the end of my first season of racing HS and Enduros and I can't believe how slow I used to be.... still not fast, but way less slow 🤣

Oh yeah, if you hear "WooHoooo" it doesn't mean the guy behind you is having a great time, it means move. :banghead:

Joel

I have been passed many of times. I'm not the fastest guy out there. :banghead:

What I have found out is...... The person who is faster and has more skills will find a way around you pretty quick. Just hold your line. If your slower and less skilled you probably aren't taking the perfect line anyways. And they will pass. Just my opinion. :banghead:

Two things I see wrong here.

First, if you are not officially racing, you shouldn't be out there. You jeopardize others in several ways.

Second, if the guy catches you in your dust, he's definitely riding faster. He's going to get around you at some point, so you may as well let him by. He will appreciate that. If you insist on racing a much faster racer, eventually he will pass wherever he has to just to get by, possibly taking you out in the process. He will not stay behind you and fool around all day waiting for his competition to catch both of you. If he has to put you into the cheap seats getting by, you probably deserved it.

Just hold your line, hold your speed, and he will get around when it's safe.

Pull over. If I'm having a bad race I'll pull over for anyone, in my class or not. Chances are you'll catch lots of them because alot of people ride over there head and crash. When people pull over, I almost always yell thanks to them to let them know its appretiated. Remember not to race the other people (your class or not), race the course. Just ride smooth and go your own pace. Mabey you'll get first, mabey you'll get lapped by first, but all that matters is riding smooth, having fun, and letting guys who are trying to ride fast go. Just let them go, dont even think about it. Race for fun, dont go out thinking I'm gona win this race, go out thinking I'm gona race smooth and have fun. Stay smooth, have fun, and good luck:thumbsup:.

I'm having a hard time putting this into the context of road-racing. Which bothers me, because I'd love to do a hare-scramble or enduro in the near future.

The rule in roadracing is that it's the passing rider's responsibility to make a safe pass. Regardless of the passing rider's credentials. (blue flags aside... because I'm assuming there aren't flaggers in off-road racing to tell me that the rider behind me is a race leader and not the guy I'm trying to fight off for 20th place) It's much more dangerous to everyone out there for someone riding at 95% to try and pay attention to anything other than what is in front of them.

But, I've never participated in an off-road race... so I really have no direct experience. Hopefully there is some more discussion in here.

Two things I see wrong here.

First, if you are not officially racing, you shouldn't be out there. You jeopardize others in several ways.

Second, if the guy catches you in your dust, he's definitely riding faster. He's going to get around you at some point, so you may as well let him by. He will appreciate that. If you insist on racing a much faster racer, eventually he will pass wherever he has to just to get by, possibly taking you out in the process. He will not stay behind you and fool around all day waiting for his competition to catch both of you. If he has to put you into the cheap seats getting by, you probably deserved it.

Just hold your line, hold your speed, and he will get around when it's safe.

i didnt mean "not racing" as in not trying in a race, i just meant trail riding with others

I did my first harescrambles this year too. I agree to let the fast guys go. The fast guys will pass you in places that you would never think they could.

But first an foremost... do it safely. When you hear a wahh hooo watch out for yourself and a safe place to move over. Once this year I made the mistake of hurrying to get out of the way and ended up falling right into the middle of the trail. It was a simple mistake when I was getting tired. I just ran out of leg to hold the bike up on a hillside but I promptly got run over. Busted up some ribs. It was a hard way to learn this.

If it is your first race, just have fun and be safe. Treat it like an organized trail ride. Get used to being passed. It will happen a lot. Once you have done a couple, it will be easier. Before you know it, you will be the guy waahoo'ing.

Yeh, Joel used to just knock me off the trail when he'd pass. Now he knows the proper "passing etiquette". 🤣 haha

Sometimes you will hear the guy behind you just riding, but he's not always in that big of a hurry, so in that case, just ride and maybe when it opens up a little, just scoot to one side and let him by if he wants. :banghead:

Now, every race circut has their jerk racers, be it AA-riders, or c-riders. They are just ruthless racers who think that running you off the course is worth winning a race that is just for fun. They will rev their motors, and hollar like you've never heard.🤣 In this case, move aside when possible. Don't go out of your way and risk wrecking you or the other guy, but umhum... MOVE!!!!!🤣

And this may happen in your first race, but it took me a few:

you, yes YOU will actually get to hollar at slower folks. Don't be mean about it, but have fun. Try saying excuse me, and thank you after you pass. :banghead:

Main rule: Have fun!!

Yeah now you just move when you hear me coming🤣

I didn't see you at Red Lick today, guess it would be pretty far for you though. They had a guy today that wouldn't move and when I finally got past him I missed a turn and he passed me back and I had to pass him again :banghead: It was a 12 mile loop (4 laps) so I didn't get lapped by the AA's, but I did have a flat front tire for the last lap🤣 Never had a flat during a race before, makes the bike handle really bad. Still had fun though :banghead:

Joel

Yeh, I'm still working on my kdx's suspension. Should be ready to go before next weekend. I can't wait. :banghead:🤣 I haven't really ridden since the Perry Mountain fun run weekend. :banghead:🤣🤣 Should be at the Gobbler Getter the first weekend of November.