Sign in to follow this  

Cool bike I saw in Scotland

I saw this bike while on my honeymoon in Scotland last week. I haven't seen them in the states. I thought you guys might be interested. It is from a company called CCM. They used a DRZ400 motor with WP suspension. Great idea. I didn't get to test ride it (try that on your honeymoon.. hahah) but it seemed pretty light while sitting on it. I love the DRZ400 motor but didn't like the soft suspension. Maybe CCM will get their finances straightened out and bring some bikes over here. I think it would be a real hit with the trail riding crowd if it isn't that expensive. Check out how they turned the shock reservoir inward to keep the bike slim in the middle. Pretty cool.

ccm404e_resize.jpg

Check out how they turned the shock reservoir inward to keep the bike slim in the middle. Pretty cool.

ccm404e_resize.jpg

I wonder if the exhaust would heat the reservoir causing fade? :banghead: But, yea, linkless shock, trick look to the swingarm being polished and all. Bad looking DS for sure. Those Pirelli's have got to go...

CCM

the weak dollar would be a killer right now. almost 8k. but an extreamly reliable motor in what sounds like a pretty darn good chassis, would make it a real attractive bike

I wonder if the exhaust would heat the reservoir causing fade? :banghead: But, yea, linkless shock, trick look to the swingarm being polished and all. Bad looking DS for sure. Those Pirelli's have got to go...

CCM

That was my first thought too. Shock fade. It is aweful close to the pipe. But I thought it was at least innovative.

the weak dollar would be a killer right now. almost 8k. but an extreamly reliable motor in what sounds like a pretty darn good chassis, would make it a real attractive bike

Tell me about the weak dollar... I just spent 10 days over there. It was KILLING me. 1.80 to 1.00. :banghead: It cost me almost $100.00 to fill up the VW Touran we rented. Very expensive. Great fun though.

Good thing you probably spent most of the time in the room under the covers. :banghead: Good way to save money! :banghead:

CCM is Clews Competition Machine. They've been around since the mid 70's in one form or another making MX and off-road machines. They've always been pure 4 strokes and initially ran BSA motors. CCM stuck with 4-strokes all through the 2-stroke years and tried to make a go of it.

In the mid 90's they even ran a 2-man team at the Dakar rally and did well for a while. Their primary rally rider (whose name I have forgotten) was killed and they no longer run Dakar. They've been bankrupt several times over the years. They somehow find an investor that keeps them going for a while, then go bankrupt again.

I talked to one of the owners at the INTERMOT bike show in Cologne, Germany in 1996 (just before their Dakar run) and they were great folks. I think the son of the original owner was running the company then and he probably still is.

You should be able to find out some info on CCM through Google.

Cheers,

Mac

How did you know the suspension was soft if you didn't ride it?

What I meant was I have ridden DRZ400's and their suspension is soft. I didn't mean this bike. Sorry for the confusion.

where in scotland did you see this bike and who's is it ?

I saw it at a dealer in Inverness. I can't remember the dealers name anymore but I think it was on Wilburn (Milburn ???) street. It was for sale in the dealership. Nice bunch of folks in there. The one guy was moving to the USA to Ohio. Said it was really hard to find offroad places to ride in Scotland. Too bad. The whole country looks like a golf course with mountains. And you guys probably get the same idea as me everytime you see a golf course. :banghead:

ta for that info i might check the bike out next time i'm going to a race at ardiseir if it's still there