Sign in to follow this  

3x3 mod and mud

Im thinking about doing the 3x3 mod this weekend because im getting a full yosh and I figured I would do it all at once. Some of the places I ride can be pretty muddy. I;m a little concerned about getting water and mud in my airbox if I do the mod. Has anyone had problems with getting mud or water in their airbox?

Unless your going deeper than your seat, it should not be a problem. I never had a problem with mine crossing creeks.

Have you ever had mud built up under your seat? if so then don't do the 3x3. my guess is you have not so don't worry about mud and the 3x3 mod.

The 3x3 Mod just makes the intake hole bigger. In fact it makes it the same size as the E/K models and those are the "dirt bike" DR Zs. If you get mudd into the airbox with the 3x3, then you probably would of if you did not do the 3x3. :banghead::lol::banghead::lol:

you won't get mud in there unless you cut the hole on the side or on the back where the tire is and i don't think you did that

Alright thanks for the imput, I'm going to do it. What tool did you guys use to make the cut? Utility knife, dremmel?

utiliti knife or a large xacto knife. i would heat the blade with a propane tourch and it would slice through like butter(less mess too)

you will get mud in the air box -at least I do- but it wont matter unless you get it through your air filter. Someone used a soldering iron to do the mod but I struggled with a utility knife and files and sand paper.

you will get mud in the air box -at least I do- but it wont matter unless you get it through your air filter :banghead: . Someone used a soldering iron to do the mod :banghead: but I struggled with a utility knife and files and sand paper :lol: .

I guess thats why they say to clean your filter often. 3x3 mod is done. I carfuly used my dremmel and I cleaned up the edges with a razor and sand paper, worked out great! I appreciate everyones imput but these were the only tool I had to get it done. Today I'm getting it piped and jetted!!! :banghead:

full system: 142.5 main, 25pilot, dyno jet needle at 4th slot from top, stock fuel/air screw at 3 turns.

Slip-on or modded stock can: same but fuel/air at 2 3/4turns.

My KTM 200EXC has no top to the airbox at all and isn't sealed round the front or sides. In other words, your DRZ with 3 x 3 is still going to be far better in the mud than a KTM enduro bike.

Ian

another good tip is if you know it gonna be super muddy (or dusty) cut a scotch brite pad to appropriate size and zip tie it in place (i drilled 2 small holes at the sides of the 3X3 hole so i could secure the zip ties). obviously, this creates a little restriction in the flow but i can't tell a difference.

:banghead:

J

that sounds like a good idea with the scotch brite pad. So I tested my bike out with the 3x3 mod wow what a difference!!! You can hear and feel the air rushing through. It felt like it was about to pull my nuts through the seat!!! I highly recommed this mod!