CR250 Flywheel weight?

Hey guys,

My main love is my thumper but I also ride a CR250. I ride mostly single track and know that many people add a flywheel weight to thier rides. I imagine it smooths out the power delivery and makes the bike easier to "lug" or harder to stall but does it also increase the engine brakeing? Anyone who's done this on a two smoke, please fill me in on how it changed the bike. The bike is a fresh 02 cr250 with a WIESCO lightweight piston, FMF pipe, carbon fibre reeds, dirt digger clutch, etc. In otherwords, she's a ripper!

Also, the weights come in 9, 11, and 13 gram weights.

Thanks in advance and please don't hate me cause I'm "still smokin'!" :banghead::banghead:

I have an 04 CR250R, it is my only bike and I love it. I don't own a 4 poke and don't have any intentions of doing so. I just come to this site because there is a ton of "universal" info so don't feel bad. I am sure I that we aren't the only ones with 2 bangers, even though you have both. On my bike I have put on a Steahly 12 ounce flywheel weight and LOVE IT. It is by far the best mod I have done to the bike. I have put an FMF Gnarly and Shorty Power Core II on it and that made the low end hit pretty hard. Once I put the flywheel weight on it it smoothed out the power just a little bit, but the greatest thing is that it made it almost stall proof. I now can really lug the bike around and even if I get way way way out of the power band going up hills it still manages to carry on with pride. It just takes a little more clutch slipping to get it spooled up. IMHO get the biggest weight you can, slap it on there, if you don't like it take it off, it takes about 15 minutes the second time around. I have noticed no difference on engine braking. Oh yeah, please don't flame me because I don't have the 4 banger, I love all bikes, we all ride for the same reason right? You take your advantages I'll take mine and will call it even.

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

Very nice bike warrior. If you are buying new get a Steahly. Very simple to install and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Even a caveman can do it!

thanks! i was just looking on the Steahly website! i plan too to change the plastics for brand new ones with the 2005 graphics

20170912_183117.jpg

20170912_182853.jpg

20170912_182745.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a stealthy for my CR250 and it will not screw on.  They even sent me another and same thing. Goes about 1/4 turn and stops!  My flywheel puller screws in fine. Very disappointed with their product.  Anybody else has this problem?

My guess is the threads on your flywheel aren't in perfect shape.  A flywheel puller often has a bit finer threads so that they can thread in very easy.  Look at the flywheel puller and then the weight.  My guess is the threads are a bit thicker on the weight so it grabs better.  I have used multiple different Steahly weights on my bike and they always thread on fine.