Sign in to follow this  

oil level

I just had an 05 RMZ 450 delivered that I bought off of Ebay. No manual with the bike and I was wondering what the proper amount of oil that is needed. I plan on changing the oil before riding it but there is no dipstick or sight glass so I wasn't sure how to check it for proper level.

it takes a quart and a half of oil when you are changing the filter also. the allen head bolt on the clutch cover is you level check bolt. the engine must be warm in order to check it properly.

Thanks for the info. Anyone have an opinion on which oil is the best? I

always used Belray products in the 2 strokes I have owned.

Thanks for the info. Anyone have an opinion on which oil is the best? I

always used Belray products in the 2 strokes I have owned.

No. Nobody on this forum has an opinion on which oil is best! :banghead:

J/K I'm sure you'll get one or two opinions!!

By the way...welcome!

I run Rotella-T 15/40 in mine and I will probably get flamed for it but hey if it is good enough for my Duramax then I think it is good enough for the 450. I just change it often and at about $8 a gallon at Wal-Mart it is reasonable.

I will tell what oils are best for the money and for our application.HDEO(DIESEL,GAS OILS). Most of the motorcycle specific oils you see in a dealership are inferior to hdeo oils.The cost for a 6.00 qrt of motorcycle oil, if you have seen the oil analyses from the these so called motorcycle specific oils. You are getting nothing special in most of these oils,phos,zinc,hths levels,tbn numbers are average at best.Synthetic, non synthetic oils does not matter. I am a big believer in petroleum oil with often oil changes over synthetic oils.Again,believe it or not synthetic oils do shear down just as quick as petroleum oils in a motorcycle engine. Do not waste your money,my opinion is pick a good petroleum oil and change out often.

All diesel oil's have good anti wear numbers and good HTHS numbers with a excellent overall package,I would put these oils up against most motorcycle specific oils any day,synthetic,non synthetic doesn't matter. Basically it is a big marketing scam with these motorcycle oils not all,but most. Mobil delvac 1300 15/40, Shell Rotella,15/40 AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE RIGHT NOW, Chevron Delo 400 15/40 these oils that I just mentioned can be used in our rides with complete confidence!!!!!!! All of these oils can be had at Wal-Mart for 6.00-7.00 dollars a gallon ,not a qrt a gallon.The kicker is,most motorcycle oils that are 6.00-8.00 dollars a qrt compared to HDEO oils are just sub- standard.

Rotella,has no moly additves,Mobil Delvac has about 50ppm of moly,and the Delo has a little over 200ppm of moly. We all heard that moly in a wet clutch system will cause slippage in a clutch I say POPPY COCK!!!!!!!

I am on my 5 th oil change with the Delo,I ride in loamy conditions with the RMZ,and I can tell you there is no clutch slipping here. Constant hook up all the time,if it is slipping I AM ON IT!!!!!!! If you are not convinced and wan't to stay away from oils with Moly for the tranny,go with the Shell Rotella or the Mobil delvac they have less moly than the Mobil MX4T motorcycle oil,yes the MX4T has about 90ppm of moly. On A side note: Redline,Motul motorcycle oil's have big big big doses of moly added in there package. I have never heard of any complaint's about clutch slippage using these oils.

So go to your local Wal-Mart and pick any one of these oils I mentioned, reminding you you are paying 6.00-7.00 A GALLON FOR A AWESOME OIL. Stay with it and forget about it.

I run Rotella-T 15/40 in mine and I will probably get flamed for it but hey if it is good enough for my Duramax then I think it is good enough for the 450. I just change it often and at about $8 a gallon at Wal-Mart it is reasonable.

NOT AT ALL!!!!!!!!

Run Penz 10W-40 in every bike I have ever owned. Never had a single oil related problem or breakdown.

I just drain the oil from my truck after 5000 miles,pour it through a rag to sift any contaminants and dump it in my new RMZ,makes the clutch grab great!! Seriously though, i like what BigRed said,im gonna have to research that like a mad man,I would much rather pay 6 or 7 $ per gallon than the 35.00 a gal for the maxima synthetic I use now!

been using castrol gtx 10-40 for 8 years through 8 different bikes (street and dirt) old used bikes and new. never a problem.