Sign in to follow this  

question about my new sprocket

i put a renthal 50T rear sprocket on my bike and i have the wheel as far forward as can be and i still have very little play in my chain is it going to be alright till it stretches out a bit or is it gonna damage the transmission

Don't count on the chain to stretch !!! If it has been in use for awhile (chain) it probably won't stretch more. What will happen is this. A too tight chain will pull very hard on the countershaft. The bearing directly behind the counter shaft sprocket is VERY strong.

The much smaller needle bearing supporting the opposite end of the countershaft is considerably weaker, as is the case material supporting it. The "pulling" action transmitted to the countershaft by sustained leveraging from a too tight chain will destroy the needle bearing and/or elongate the case material supporting it!

Once the shaft loses its index it can't hold the transmission gears together properly. The kickstart gears will then usually shed their teeth, and the forces from the broken pieces of gear trying to pass through the gears add more to the problem. I've had to replace two right side cases to repair this very problem on other engines.

DO NOT EVER RIDE YOUR BIKE WITH THE CHAIN TOO TIGHT. If you do you are asking for problems. I think the minimum slack is 1". I run mine with a little more, NEVER less.

To fix your problem you need to get a longer chain, or add a couple links.

its has play its just tight i can move it up and down a bit ill measure it tomorrow and get you the exact measure i havent ridden it with it yet because its rained here for the past 3 days so if its a prblem ill just buy a new chain but ill get you the measurement tomorrow and you tell me what u think

whoa - you are not using the stock chain are you????

You need a couple more links in the chain to go to 50T!!! I HAVE THIS SETUP!!!! New 50T Renthal and I think maybe even 3 links more than stock. If you are running the stock chain with that Renthal aluminum sprocket and it's tight, you may screw up your new sprocket (in addition to what coeshow said)!! I went with a new Renthal chain at the same time I made the sprocket swap.

The bonus of spending the extra $ to not screw up your bike is that the Renthal gold chain together with this awesome sprocket is beautiful - looks like a factory bike! :^)

If you put a new sprocket on, you might as well change all the sprockets and get a new chain. Don't run a old chain on a new sprocket, it's going to wear faster that way.