Sign in to follow this  

my winter list

becuase i won't be getting the super trick 2006 :banghead:

i made a $2000 winter list of stuff for my bike. pipe, new piston, zipty fuel screw, yadda yadda. but doing research all these parts has left me with a few questions.

1. could the average joe put in a new piston with basic tools?

2. can someone give me the step by step of doing it?

3. can i get different sized fuel screws with the zipty like i can with the JD?

4.the "lace" wheels, do you just torque the spokes?

5. i want to get pro wheel rims, the only reason is becuase i want them to be black. would i be better off geting my rims anodized?

thanks a ton :banghead:

1. Probably if "average joe" has some mechanical ability.

2. Check your service manual

3. I'm confused by this one....JD jet kits have different size needles

3. No, you true the wheel while torquing the spokes

4. This is an opinion. If you get you rims anodized you will probably pay close to $100 to get it done and you will have 2 black rims. If you buy Pro Wheel rims you will pay about $150 and you will have 2 black rims plus two silver rims just in case you dent one. It's your money so it's your call.

i know with smokers the average joe can do it.. never tried thumpers.. if you have a manual by your side while working it makes it much easier. most people will will lace the wheels but they will take them to a shop to get them trued.. thats fairly precise. i would go with getting the black rims and not getting them anodized. but id go with excel, for about 20 bucks more per rim you have a well known company whose rims are much stronger. do a search in the general forum and see what you come up with on the pro wheel, rims

1) No. The average joe can do it with the right tools. A good mechanic can do it with basic stuff.

2) Yes, I can.

3) Fuel screws don't come in different sizes.

4) Read This

5) No. Your stock rims are DID's, remember? Pros or Excels are stronger.

3) fuel screws are not jet kits. it's a longer version of the stock fuel screw that sticks out from the carb with an adjustment knob so you can adjust it by hand. the stock fuel screw sits in a recess in the carb and is a pain in the butt to adjust without loosening the carb and turning it sideways.

i would buy the pro or excel rims but you have to buy spokes for them as well, thats 120 bucks more. i know what a zipty fuel screw is/does, but doesn't the JD kit come with diferent coloured fuel screws?

i can post up my list if you want. :banghead:

i basically made 2 lists, ones all out, the others conservative(need a truck)

all out

1. white bros alum pro2

2. asv levers

3. rebiuld kit

4.zipty fuel screw

5. frame gaurds

6. frame paint(suggestions?)

7. chain and sprokets

8. engine ice

9. gas cap

10. pro wheel rims(how do they compare to DIDs?)

11. hub bearings

any suggestions as to what i should add? :banghead:

i basically made 2 lists, ones all out, the others conservative(need a truck)

all out

1. white bros alum pro2

2. asv levers

3. rebiuld kit

4.zipty fuel screw

5. frame gaurds

6. frame paint(suggestions?)

7. chain and sprokets

8. engine ice

9. gas cap

10. pro wheel rims(how do they compare to DIDs?)

11. hub bearings

any suggestions as to what i should add? :banghead:

First off, I thought you got a pipe about 50 threads ago? :banghead:

Second off do you really need a rebuild?

Third, why do you need all the bling? Save the money and get a truck or a new bike. It's not a fashion show in the woods. Just take good care of what you have now.

Second off do you really need a rebuild?

Third, why do you need all the bling? Save the money and get a truck or a new bike. It's not a fashion show in the woods. Just take good care of what you have now.

ok, well my bike has alot less power than my friends 2004 yz250F so i think it needs one :banghead: i would do a compression test but don't have the proper sized fitting. i would do it myself and would do a in-depth teardown, measuring everything according to the manual

how do you mean bling, the gas cap is, but all the other stuff i want to buy for fuction.🤣

if you don't think i need a rebiuld, why is my bike low on power? :banghead:

Maybe your just thinking it's low on power? Are you riding where your tire spins a lot? PJ1 is about your only choice for frame paint. I've got a bottle but don't care for it. It looks good for 5 minutes in the pits and then after my first race it's already worn off.

all out

1. white bros alum pro2- bling, stock pipe is fine

2. asv levers-bling, factory levers are just fine

3. rebiuld kit- rebuild if you need to

4.zipty fuel screw- worth getting

5. frame gaurds-the plastic ones work greak and are less than $20.00

6. frame paint(suggestions?)-why paint the frame if you are adding guards

7. chain and sprokets-worth the money if you need them, which you probably do

8. engine ice-are you having overheating issues?

9. gas cap-bling

10. pro wheel rims(how do they compare to DIDs?)-----BLING, unless you bent a wheel

11. hub bearings-worth getting if needed.

There you go.

why don't you take it to the shop and have them do a compression test? as for power, what gearing are you running, i think i remember you saying you had a 10 tooth countershaft sprocket? if you do, and your buddy has stock gearing, then i think you found your answer why your bike seems underpowered.

i think i remember you saying you had a 10 tooth countershaft sprocket? if you do, and your buddy has stock gearing, then i think you found your answer why your bike seems underpowered.

think about it bud, with the 10 tooth front sporket the bike should would feel hyper, it would pick up speed like crazy, but my friend can keep up to me then pass me like i'm going back wards when he hits 4th. you didn't find any answer. :banghead:

A 10 front sprocket? 13 x48 is stock right? Ming! Reminds me of my neighbor who used a smaller front sprocket on his 85. Lots of low end nothing else. Good for wheelies and no speed.

think about it bud, with the 10 tooth front sporket the bike should would feel hyper, it would pick up speed like crazy, but my friend can keep up to me then pass me like i'm going back wards when he hits 4th. you didn't find any answer. :banghead:

I think you would be losing speed while shifting and thats why he keeps up with you. When he hits fourth you should be just about tapped out right? No wonder he passes you like your going backwards.

Your problem sounds like set up problem to me. Jetting gearing tires etc.