Sign in to follow this  

Springs

I replaced the springs and oil in my DRZ forks. How much tougher would it be for me to do this bike? I dont think revalving is going to do me any good at my pace so I figure I can hopefully do the springs only myself.

Im 250 with gear. The stock suspension works awesome trail riding but seems a little soft on the track for me. Will the stiffer springs make the action better with my weight for trail riding keeping it farther up in the stroke?

Springs are nothing to replace in these bikes. Shock is very simple. Just loosen the lock nut and twisting thing (the thing you tighten and loosen when you set sag. I cant remember the tech term) till the spring is loose on the shock, then on the bottom of the shock, pull the rubber mount up and twist the bottom piece and it will pop off. The key is to loosen the spring. Once you get that you'll figure it out. Sorry I dont know all the technical terms.

For the forks you need the tool to open them. Once you get that its the same as any other fork. Just this time the caps are chambers.

Im 250 with gear, 230 without (roughly). Racetechs calculations says a .49 front which is great. The rear is 5.4 stock and they recommend a 5.8. It only comes in 5.7 or 6.0...

Should I go with the 6.0 or 5.7?

Greg I'm about your size and on all 3 of my bikes I had them setup springs/revavle at 3 shops and what I found was that my old 1999 KX now works best cause it has Enzo and the two newer bikes I decided to save money and go with local cheaper shops. Well if I had it to do over again, they'd all be enzo or RG3.

You can't believe the difference a good suspension revavle can make. The more info you give them the better it will be.

Just getting the right springs makes the most difference, but I'd recommend the revalve as well. Tell you what % of riding you do like: 30% CC racing, 20% MX, 50% Trails etc.

Another place i heard good things about is MX-Tech, and they have a shop in livermore, not sure how far that is from you.

Good luck,

Oh, I think iBach (sp?) makes inbetween sized springs. 2 of the shops I used used them and racetech to get all of the sizes. Personally I prefer OEM springs, but many swear by these as well.

Would I be better off with slightly stiffer springs not cranked down as much to make sag, or a the lighter spring cranked down to make sag?

I make sag on my stock spring, but it is at the max the manual says to use. Actually havent checked in a while, my sag is most likely not right anymore...

i bought the 5.8 from eibach, and i'm a little lighter than you, now i have to test on ride, but it seems to be better.

I suggest you to use the titanium spring.

ciao

Racetech told me to always go to the next heavier rate if your in the middle. I am going to pick up .49 fronts and a 6.0 rear hopefully today.

Anybody know of a tech article or how-to article for replacing the fork springs?

What about oil and height recommendations?

I cant wait to get these installed, I was doing some pretty heavy bottoming at the track Sunday. Of course if would actually CLEAR the freaking double all the time it would be better!