Sign in to follow this  

TTR50e or CRF50 what do i get a 4.5 year old

Depends on if you want to modify it or not at the moment. If your looking to make a racer out of it beyond the basics the product is at this point limited. Otherwise if your going for just basics like bar kit suspension ect it is a great plat form and priced a 100 under the crf50

RoTTeNinc.net

TTR50 has electric start, might be nicer for the kid, they also already have tons of aftermarket stuff for it already for when u wanna take over it, the bike got great reviews....but if u dont wanna spend alot you can get killer deals on the crf50

Depends on if you want to modify it or not at the moment. If your looking to make a racer out of it beyond the basics the product is at this point limited. Otherwise if your going for just basics like bar kit suspension ect it is a great plat form and priced a 100 under the crf50

RoTTeNinc.net

everywhere i have seen it has been the other way around. i have seen the crf's for cheeper usually for $999 otd. the ttr's are like $1149 plus all the taxes. or $1299 otd correct me if i am wrong, but that is what i have been seeing. plus the crf 50's have been proven to be great bikes. you cant go wrong with a crf 50.

Both great machines but your forgetting about the pw 50 which has 2 or 3 inches lower seat height and a few pounds less in the weight department. Also fully automatic and a few hundred $ cheaper. start small and gradually move up. The ttr and crf will hold resale a little better but if this isnt an issue then I would certainly choose a pw for the first bike.

Get the CRF. It's a proven design with the most aftermarket parts available of any bike out there. It will run forever, and I'm sure it's lighter than the TTR also.

The new TTR-50 may be good, but the only real difference is electric start. The pain about that is having to keep track of a battery.

CRFs start very easily. With a new rider I wouldn't want them starting it and taking off without me being right there anyway. After a while they can learn to kickstart it by themselves. Because it has an autoclutch it doesn't usually kill when it they drop it.

They should learn the lost art of kickstarting anyway...

Both great machines but your forgetting about the pw 50 which has 2 or 3 inches lower seat height and a few pounds less in the weight department. Also fully automatic and a few hundred $ cheaper. start small and gradually move up. The ttr and crf will hold resale a little better but if this isnt an issue then I would certainly choose a pw for the first bike.

depending on the kid's height, I agree, don't forget the PW50. Otherwise either of the 2 50s would be great. The JR50 (Suzuki 2-smoke) is adjustable by 1", short hight is about same as PW.

The TTR is the only way to go. Mine can still not start the 50 by himself. He only weighs about 50 pounds and they take a bit of the a kick.

The question was best bike for a 4-5 year old. My kid at 4-5 could not start my XR50 with out my help. Yamaha has electric start so it is the best bike for that age group

ROTTEN

• Like 1

I started mine on a jr50. That was great for about a year. Then we got the CRF50 and have been able to modify it as he grows and gets faster. I refuse to baby my kids and made them all get kick start. They might not be able to do it at first but they always want to try and that will build up strength. My boy just turned 7 and he can start his bike no problem now. So if he goes down in a race or at the other side of the practice track he can fend for himself and get her going again. I guess I'm a stickler for old school basics.

4.5 is a bit small for the CRF50. I would start him out on one of the little 2 smokers. Let him get down the basics, then when he is complaining that the bike is not going anywhere even though he is flyin' around the track, then move him up to the Honda.

The question was best bike for a 4-5 year old. My kid at 4-5 could not start my XR50 with out my help. Yamaha has electric start so it is the best bike for that age group

ROTTEN

Why do they need to be able to start it themselves? A kid that young should have the parent watching them all the time anyway. I don't see the need for it, and still say keeping track of a battery is a !#$%^ pain!

My 6yr old can't quite start the 50, so my 9yr old or I do it for him - but he still likes to try. It's all part of learning to ride a dirtbike.

They learn nothing by "thumbing the button", and I think it could just cause more problems...

Why do they need to be able to start it themselves? A kid that young should have the parent watching them all the time anyway. I don't see the need for it, and still say keeping track of a battery is a !#$%^ pain!

My 6yr old can't quite start the 50, so my 9yr old or I do it for him - but he still likes to try. It's all part of learning to ride a dirtbike.

They learn nothing by "thumbing the button", and I think it could just cause more problems...

Being were in San Diego Ca. we only have tracks to ride at unless going to the desert or OHV areas out in the sticks. It is dangerious for an adult to go out onto a course with other children riding unless it is nesesary. If a child can pick up the bike but cant kick start it then electric start is a great tool to have. If you trust your child enough to ride a gas powered bike then in my opinion the child should be able to start the bike on his/her own with no help. Remember this bike is to learn to ride on.

If the child doesnt need electric start then good for him/her. I ride 450 and 250 motocross bikes and have no problem if it has a button to start it. Especially when im racing :banghead:

ROTTEN

TTR50e

i dont think the little guy could turn over the engine by himself

my friend nathans little bro had a crf50 when he was 5 but it had a electric start lifian motor cuase Mr. Hagan knew he couldnt kick teh motor over at his weight

he just got a roller and stuck the lifian motor right in, it was a semi auto 4 speed 70cc

it was fun to ride with him he would shoot right out and blow us away for about 2 seconds with my old XR100 with a lifian 125 and nathans TTR125lw

hey i just thought of this LOL compression release plug for a 50 :banghead:

Your kid will get fat if he has a electric startable bike..

I agree...The TT comes with a free box of Twinkies.

Kick Start... it's all about principle. :banghead: