Aluminium Fuel tank for XR400

Yeah, why in the world would you want an aluminum tank??? :banghead: Haven't you seen the old tanks off of dirt bikes from years passed? :banghead: They are all screwed up, you know why?? They are metal. There is a reason things have evovled to lighter, stronger materials. They are better.

Love ya too Wolf! How did you know my real name "Dumb ASS" Do I know you?

Guess not, The guys I ride with don't put the cart in front of the horse. IE: they would have asked Why?

This bike is a SM, setting up inverted forks, custom trees, want something completely different!

The kit I think I saw gave the bike a sleek look, and had shrouds.

Go plastic or go home...dumb ass!

1) Aluminum tanks are used more than you think. Plastic tanks simply cannnot keep fuel cool enough to keep from degrading in certain applications.

2) Aluminum is DOT-legal.

Why this guy wants one is anybody's guess. But hey, this way you at least got to call someone a dumb *ss. :banghead:

Are you implying that plastic isn't DOT approved?

Technically it's not. In fact, a friend of mine in IA had the State come to his house and seize the plate on his KTM400EXC in 2003. One of the reasons given was the poly tank... :banghead:

...of course, other reasons were the non-compliant knobs, no rear brake light, no mirror, and no horn. :banghead:

i believe the reason that plastic tanks are not dot approved for most motorcycles is that they can easily be punctured in an accident.

in the case of the bmw and autos, the tank is more protected and less likely to be punctured.

btw, if an aluminum tank is good enough for the guys at bbr, i think it is probably good enough for anybody else.