Sign in to follow this  

Coolent vanishing in kdx220

I have a friend with a 2002 kdx220 and the coolent seems to disapear in it. Its not boiling out and its not leaking on the ground anywhere we can see when it sets for a long time. It leaks enough that we have to fill up the resivore bottle every couple rides? Where is it going? Do all kdx's have this problem. I dont know what he should do. I have an xr so I dont have to worry about all this non-sense. :banghead: Thanks for any help.

The KDX's are great, but the water pump seals leave a lot to be desired (basically they are useless). He should check his case oil to see if it has coolant mixed in it. It probably does. Water and coolant bad for crankcase internals!! :banghead:

...or the gasket is failing and its going into the cylinder and out the exhaust pipe.

The bike isnt running any differnt. It has never fouled a plug or been hard to start so I would think it wouldnt be leaking into the cylinder but into the crankcase is a good place to start. Ill have him drop the oil in it. How easy is it to replace the waterpump seals?

If your friend's problem doesn't get resolved here on your thread. Then tell him to check out-

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Great site/forum for KDX owners. The guys on there just wait for someone to ask a question they can't answer...

I had a 95 kdx200 that did the same thing. At one point I just removed the coolant bottle completely, and checked the coolant in the radiator every ride for several months. I never did find where that coolant went, and the bike never overheated, or leaked antifreeze anywhere. I wouldnt worry about it.

are these good woods bikes???

can they keep up on the track with a few suspention mods

are these good woods bikes???

can they keep up on the track with a few suspention mods

They're legendary in the woods. One of the best trail bikes ever made.

If the track is natural terrain - with limited or no man-made elements, then they can compete on the track. I wouldn't want to do that every weekend, but I know a few guys who enter an occasional MX with 220s and do just fine.

If you can smell coolant, then it is probaly dripping on the pipe or motor and burning off before it hits the ground. :banghead: Otherwise, it is more than likely leaking through the water pump. Same thing happened to me. Changed the seal out, no more problem. However, now that my riding skills are improving, and I ride more aggressively in harder, more technical trails, I can tell that it has a tendency to boil over alot more now. Oh, well. Not that big of a deal. I just add a little water and coolant when needed. And then go🤣 some more!! :banghead: