Sign in to follow this  

Does every DRZ sound like this?

I'm at around 1200KM and i'm starting to notice that my valves are sounding awfully like a sewing machine... are all drz's like this or should i be bringing my bike in ahead of schedule? Its not insanely loud or anything but its definately pin-able.

ya,thats pretty normal,its just the valve train loosening up.if you start to hear grinding sounds well thats not normal.mine has 3000km and i hear this when im idling(my yzf sounded like this too)when you put a pipe on it you won't really hear it :banghead::banghead:🤣

Get a muzzy/yosh and twist your right wrist a little more and you won't even notice the little sounds :banghead:

ya,thats pretty normal,its just the valve train loosening up.if you start to hear grinding sounds well thats not normal.mine has 3000km and i hear this when im idling(my yzf sounded like this too)when you put a pipe on it you won't really hear it🤣🤣🤣

Just a note... Valve train on an overhead cam, shim under bucket design motor like the DRZ,,, does not ,its just the valve train loosening up. The valve clearances decrease as wear takes place :banghead:

To the first poster.. Yes,, the DRZ is a noise maker.. yours may be normal or not,, it is nothing a person over the internet can help you with. Compare it to another DRZ,,or better yet. Service your bike and see that the valves are in spec :banghead:

Just a note... Valve train on an overhead cam, shim under bucket design motor like the DRZ,,, does not ,its just the valve train loosening up. The valve clearances decrease as wear takes place :banghead:

To the first poster.. Yes,, the DRZ is a noise maker.. yours may be normal or not,, it is nothing a person over the internet can help you with. Compare it to another DRZ,,or better yet. Service your bike and see that the valves are in spec :banghead:

hmmm,valve train,cam chain, cam bearings,sprockets,valves,cam lobe hitting buckets,this all makes noise. and this all loosens up.yes the valves clearence gets tighter but thats not going to make it sound like a sewing machine like it sounds now. checked my clearence and everything is good.when my yzf needed adjustment it would stall all the time and kinda lost a little grunt as well.oh ya the gear box makes noise as well because of the same thing right.i always thought it was a good thing when you could hear that sewing machine sound or the supercharger sound(ya know that whine in the gear box)just about all my bikes sounded like this and never had a serious problem.🤣

hmmm,valve train,cam chain, cam bearings,sprockets,valves,cam lobe hitting buckets,this all makes noise. and this all loosens up.yes the valves clearence gets tighter but thats not going to make it sound like a sewing machine like it sounds now. checked my clearence and everything is good.when my yzf needed adjustment it would stall all the time and kinda lost a little grunt as well.oh ya the gear box makes noise as well because of the same thing right.i always thought it was a good thing when you could hear that sewing machine sound or the supercharger sound(ya know that whine in the gear box)just about all my bikes sounded like this and never had a serious problem. :banghead:

If you say so :banghead:

1. The DRZ has no cam bearings (the cam sits in the head,, no bearing to "loosen up and make noise".. but you knew that I'm sure)🤣

2. The cam sprockets and chain do not "loosen up" and make more noise 🤣

3. The clearance between the cam lobe and bucket DOES NOT loosen up🤣

4. There are people on this forum that can and should point out mistakes or misinformation in a thread.. Thus far your not proving to be one of them.

Have a nice day...I'm going to go riding :busted:

1. The DRZ has no cam bearings (the cam sits in the head,, no bearing to "loosen up and make noise".. but you knew that I'm sure):banghead:

4. There are people on this forum that can and should point out mistakes or misinformation in a thread.. Thus far your not proving to be one of them.

Have a nice day...I'm going to go riding 🤣

ya,i'm taking the sewing machine riding too :busted: .if you know more than me the why can you hear the noise in there then and not just on a drz but just about everything thats out there? :busted: or better yet what is that noise.

Mine sound like that too and it's an 05 sm like your's. I can't really hear it when I'm riding cause I have a full yosh on it but cause I'm anal at listening at my engine I can hear it, but my yzf750 was like that and it was normal so I don't panic with the noise and keep riding it like I stole it.

Mine just started making this sewing machine noise at about 3500 miles. I thought it was the skid plate I added that was making the engine sounds reflect up at me more than before. In any case, glad I'm in good company.

I Also from the opinio that a Shim-bucket system may not lossen up (they really thighten up), unless you have a loose camshaft (but that should sound REALLY awfull).

In my bike the noise started getting worse and worse, and it was due to a worn out timing chain, check it out, it shold softly move in any direction with the tensor loose.

At any doubt, just change it, it`s not expensive, and my lack of experience costed me the chain and two intake valves, which bent when the timing chain broke the tensor and the bike got out of time.

I Also from the opinio that a Shim-bucket system may not lossen up (they really thighten up), unless you have a loose camshaft (but that should sound REALLY awfull).

In my bike the noise started getting worse and worse, and it was due to a worn out timing chain, check it out, it shold softly move in any direction with the tensor loose.

At any doubt, just change it, it`s not expensive, and my lack of experience costed me the chain and two intake valves, which bent when the timing chain broke the tensor and the bike got out of time.

how many kms did you have on it when that happened?

1. The DRZ has no cam bearings (the cam sits in the head,, no bearing to "loosen up and make noise".. but you knew that I'm sure):banghead:

Have a nice day...I'm going to go riding 🤣

THE CHAIN DOES LOOSEN UP. I ADJUST MINE ALL THE TIME. IT'S MY ONLY NOISE

M.C.C.T. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

got one on order.should arrive when all the fcr stuff comes :banghead:

Check it yourself, put some feeler guages on it. If it sounds noisy it probably is. Check it and be sure.

Nice reserection:thumbsup:

Most of those guys never even post anymore.🙂