Sign in to follow this  

More Coolant Banter

I was scanning the rec.motorcycles.dirt for info on why my 450 is spewing so much coolant and I ran accross this info:

"You *do* know Engine Ice is nothing more than Propylene Glycol, which

can be had at Wal_mart for about $6 a gallon purchased under the brand

name Prestone Low-Tox. Normal anti-freeze/coolant is Ethylene Glycol."

and

"Propylene Glycol is a food grade heat transfer agent that is not nearly as efficient as Ethylene Glycol based coolants and is proven to cause premature failure in aluminum and magnesium castings. All of the eco-friendly automotive coolants are Propylene Glycol based and should not be used in

motorcycles, let alone in alloy engine automobiles."

and

"And you're also right about it not transferring heat as well as ethylene glycol. But guess what else. EG doesn't transfer heat as well as WATER. Plain and simple pure water will cool better than any other chemical."

and

"Water Wetter reduces the surface tension properties of water. So, in

effect, it makes water (or any other liquid) cool better."

All interesting stuff. What is the Evans stuff made of?

Do a search in the toolbar plenty of info about coolants here. I personally use Toyota red, which can be bought at your local Toyota dealer. I belive Therapture posted numerous times about it. Either way great stuff :banghead:

Do a search in the toolbar plenty of info about coolants here. I personally use Toyota red, which can be bought at your local Toyota dealer. I belive Therapture posted numerous times about it. Either way great stuff :banghead:

I never trust his posts since he deserted us for mini-bikes...