Sign in to follow this  

Race Tech Spring Calculator

OK I'm sure you have seen or used the spring rate calculator at racetech.com.

This is a great tool they provide for the OCD MX guy. I have been looking at it trying to figure out what fork spring rate is the most correct choice for me. But I realized something odd. :banghead:

If I look at both the fork and shock springs and keep changing the weights until the calculator specs the OEM spring rate I come up with significant weight spread. In otherwords the way the bike is set up from the factory is unbalanced between front/rear. :banghead:🤣

The OEM fork spring rate is .470, according to the calculator this is good for a 220# rider.

The OEM shock spring is a 5.0 and according to the calculator this is only good for a 185#

I have not called Race Tech yet but I just wanted to know what you guys think.

The rear shock is probably set up a little stiffer, while the fork valving may be set a tad softer..

The 450X rear shock spring specs out to a 5.4 with a slight progression starting out at 5.3kg/mm. We ran this on our Rhoerig engineering dynamic spring rater that produces a dynamic graph across the entire usable travel of the spring, not just one point.

Even with a 5.4, the bike is still unbalanced. You need atleast a 5.8 on this heavy bike to match the front end.

Take Care, John

The rear shock is probably set up a little stiffer, while the fork valving may be set a tad softer..

OK I could buy that, but than how do you know what spring rates are really needed when you don't know or reference the valving?

The 450X rear shock spring specs out to a 5.4 with a slight progression starting out at 5.3kg/mm. We ran this on our Rhoerig engineering dynamic spring rater that produces a dynamic graph across the entire usable travel of the spring, not just one point.

Even with a 5.4, the bike is still unbalanced. You need atleast a 5.8 on this heavy bike to match the front end.

Take Care, John

John, why would Honda sell a bike with unmatched suspension? :banghead:

EDITED: I just looked at my CRF Manuel and it states that the OEM front spring rate is good for a rider between 150-160#. This further confuses me as it further conflicts with what RT calculator says as well as others.

I have the need for lighter than stock rates either way as I weigh 140#.

I have reduced the rear to a 5.0 and use most all of the fork travel but want to try a softer fork spring rate to help better balance the bike. If really needed? :banghead:

My main dilemma is that

a) I don't want to do something I really wont get a benefit from.

🤣 I don't want to keep wasting money swapping springs out?

c) I don't want to keep disassembling my forks, wasting time and oil.

I have been told to try the CRF / CR 250 fork springs witch are .42 and if I am near the last 1" of fork travel on springs rated for a 220# rider with me @ 140#, I am lead to believe that going all the way to a .42 will cause the forks to bottom all the time. My instinstint is to lean toward a .45 or do nothing at all. 🤣

Whats your take, and where is the beat compromise. Better balance F/R or not to have the forks bottom?

I am not a suspension pro, so I just went with the suggested rates for my 04 WR 450.

I spent some time getting the sag, compression, and rebound right, but in the end, the rates were perfect from the calculator.

I ride mostly woods and use the entire travel when riding aggressively.

This may be off topic, but IMO trust the calculator. :banghead: