Sign in to follow this  

Just got a 2006 dr-z400 dual sport. few things..

This is my first bike ever and I have a few questions. First, what possibilities are there for storage minus me carrying a backpack? Someone at the dealership said throw a saddle bag on there and hope it doesn't hit the pipe. What saddle bags have people used in the past that work? Secondly, does anyone make a tachometer for the thing? What is the longest trip anyone has taken on theirs on the road? Is it really that uncomfortable for long trips. Being a college student, i envisioned myself driving the thing into canada from NYC and putzing around up there. Seemed like fun... Anything i should look for being on the highway with it for so long??

Personally, I use a backpack when I ride day trips. I pack light, so the weight up high on my back isn't a problem. The stock seat is horrible for long trips. You probably won't want to go over 100 miles on it. I bought the Corbin seat for mine. It was worth the $250. Now, I can do 300-500 miles in a day. I don't have a tach, the DRZ'a CDI implements a rev limiter. You don't really need a tack.

This is my first bike ever and I have a few questions. First, what possibilities are there for storage minus me carrying a backpack? Someone at the dealership said throw a saddle bag on there and hope it doesn't hit the pipe. What saddle bags have people used in the past that work? Secondly, does anyone make a tachometer for the thing? What is the longest trip anyone has taken on theirs on the road? Is it really that uncomfortable for long trips. Being a college student, i envisioned myself driving the thing into canada from NYC and putzing around up there. Seemed like fun... Anything i should look for being on the highway with it for so long??
there is a guy on here that has done the "Iron Butt" on his DRZ. :banghead: I have never ridden more than 250 in a day on mine. and I have usde the saddle bags from my VFR on the "Z" with no issues of them hitting the pipe.

I have the scout version of the dirtbagz, got them used.

They come with side brackets and hold quite a bit if stuff.

http://moto-sportpanniers.com/dirtbagz/

There is a enduro style tank bag you could also use from Wolfman.

Also quite a few rear rack & bag options. You can load it up if you want.

If you plan on longer road trips going to a 15/41 would be a good idea.

The stock 15/44 is OK but a bit buzzy for long trips.

Welcome to TT, a ton of good info in the achieves to search through too.

Congrats on the new ride :banghead:

I use a backpack w/mine also. I let it hang low where the pack is supported by the seat, and hardly even know its there.

Everyone complains about the seat, but I don't think it's that bad. Of course I've ridden mtn bikes for 15 years, so that kinda makes the DRZ feel like a barcalounger🤣

Enjoy the ride, and welcome to TT :banghead:

I went on a trip this past summer: I'm a teacher and have summers off for r&r and much needed sanity maintenance. 10 days, 3500km, from home in northwestern new brunswick to the bay of fundy. Followed the coast road system for the next 7 days. Offroad/trail-about 200km, dirt roads 200km; remainder blacktop 100-120 kmh highway for about 1500km, rest on 80kmh secondary or tertiary roads. The weight of tent, groundsheet, clothes,tools, rain gear, food,... (about 50lbs) on the factory suzuki steel rack and rear seat was too much for jumps and the 50/50 maxxis 6006 after months of premium knobbies in the dirt just didn't cut it. Add to that a full clarke and a day pack full of water, munchies, camera, sunscreen, fly dope...and beaver dams were out of the question but as long as the ground was hard enough and the mud not too slick, I went. Don't own a digi camera but have some great pics I might scan in if I get around to it. I ended with a 1 day run from Halifax to Grand falls via miramichi- about 800kms in 12 hours. I swapped back to full knobbies and did nothing else and my uncorked and well-suspended drz is a full duty dirt bike again. I love this bike more everyday.

I'm really excited about the new ride.. Thanks for all the info... Someone mentioned that for extended highway use i should change the sprockets, where is a good place to look for new ones? Quick question about tank bags.. It seems that some are generic in their application but most motorcycles have different gas tank designs so which one works well with the DRZ? I'm looking for a small one just to keep wallet, registration etc. in. I will be picking the bike up in two days, what's the deal with break in?

If you just want a small bag get a Moose rear fender bag. it will carry any tools you need for the road/trail and your wallet etc. It's quality is 1000% percent than the OEM bag and it's bigger too. there are a few rear fender rack manuf out there. all of them are different designs, just pick the one you like. I carry my extra stuff (minus the tools in my moose bag) in a large camelback backpack.

I really haven't found a good reason for a tach on my DRZ. stock gearing and tires are fine for street use, including trips. get rid of the stock tires if you plan on going in the dirt, if you ignore this piece of advice I guarantee you will be posting here about how you dropped your bike on the first patch of dirt you rode in, just search "death wings" here and you'll find out what I am talking about.

as for break in, I and many others reccomend the "mototune" method. google mototune and you'll find it.

Being a college student, i envisioned myself driving the thing into canada from NYC and putzing around up there. Seemed like fun...

My opinion, its the wrong bike for that. If you rode the freeway your looking at about 6hrs. Personally I would rather a street bike for that.

The ProMoto Billet rack and an Oxford tailbag (32 liters) work great for my needs (day trips, commuting). Total cost about $200.

Been searching around for a luggage rack system for the bike. Are any out there that offer some sort of a lockable top case? WHat are some brands other than the stock one suzuki offers. There is a german company that seems to have a decent one that can be expanded to inlcude saddle bags, does anyone have experience with this? If I just went with a luggage rack is there a certain one out there that accomodates more bag options than others?