Sign in to follow this  

Q. for Burned

Hey Burned, I just installed a dirt model pumper on my '93 DR 350 and am trying to dial it in. I'm here in CO and am looking to set it up for 6000-11,000 feet. Right now I'm sporting:

1. Top cut off airbox

2. Supertrapp

3. 127.5 main jet

4. Clip in 4th groove

Bike is running really rich right now and I thought I'd see what your thoughts are on my main/clip setup. The next smallest main jet I have at the moment is a 124.

Thanks much.

Residing is Boulder and I range from there up to the Rollins Pass zone.

Thanks,

D.

what are the indications of being rich.

been awhile since ive done any dr350's,but you seem plenty small on the main jet.

you can bring it by the shop and we can slap it on the dyno.with my real time air fuel it wont take very long to get it dialed.

i will run it for free if your doing the changes.

Wow, that'd be awesome in terms of the dyno!!! What's the location of the shop?

In terms of rich indicators, I just pulled my plug as the last time I looked at it it was black as night. More to the point it looks like my clip movement from 3rd to 4th groove helped (see current plug photo below) , so my situation may not be as bad as I thought.

The main problem I was having last ride was that I was having a terrible time restarting the bike after bogging and stalling it. At one point I had to push the thing a stretch after kicking to the point of exhaustion. So maybe my issues are more pilot (stock 37.5 installed) or float-level related. This carb is from the East coast and definitely needed some cleaning, de-gunking. I put a new o-ring around the float needle assembly, as I was getting fuel draining out of the vents (and indeed the old o-ring was suspect looking). Also worth mentioning is that the float needle itself was replaced with the one from my original CV carb. The little spring-loaded nubbin on the pumper was stuck down, and inspection of the CV one led me to believe it would work (it is oh so slightly longer, but I figured, if anything, it'd just shut the fuel of a touch sooner, in addition to being a $40 part and it was Friday afternoon) I set the float height to the middle of the recommended range, measuring from where the float bowl would mate to the carb body, to the top of the float (in the middle of the float, as it is at an angle), with the float resting on the spring-nubbin, but not compressing it, so I was feeling pretty squared away there...At the time of the ride I figured that my richness was fouling the plug enough to prevent kicking it to life, but now I'm not so sure...

Sorry that got to be so long, but that should be all the relevant info.

Thanks,

D.Current plug

Yeah, I think I got it (although now I'm probably jinxing myself...). I think my float level was a touch high. I lowered it and put in a fresh plug and 'ol bessie is starting and idling like a champ, at least around town. Hope to give her a proper test, but darned if we didn't get some snow here in CO...

One thing I came across was how much air this thing wants. I was dialing in the air screw/idle and revving her with the seat off, and it was sucking my pants down into the airbox!

Thanks for everyone's feedback. :banghead:

D.