Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 vs. ttr230

Hey, I got a question. My brother is getting his first bike and we don't know what model to get him. We were thinking either the ttr125 or the ttr230. We ride mostly on trails (fooling around) and occasionally on the track. I thought there would be a big difference between the two bikes, but it turns out that the 125's seat is only 2 in. shorter than the 230's. The compression is also higher on the 125. He is about 5,10 and 115 pounds. I was just wondering how the two bikes compared, power wise, life expectancy, suspension... Is there really that big of a difference?

(His feet can just go flat on the 230)

Any additional information would be much appreciated :banghead:

well, here's my opinion. my wife got a ttr125 LE last year. she's 5'4 and 115. the PERFECT size for her. for your bro', it seems like his weight is ok, but he's too tall for it. i'm 6', and i got a kdx220. IT IS THE BEST ALL AROUND BIKE HANDS DOWN. Great on trails (it never fouls plugs), great in a pit, great everywhere. They also make a 200. It's a 2stroke but I NEVER foul plugs no matter if i'm riding with my kids on tight trails or not. on the ttr230, my impression from reading message boards is that it's basically a "heavy pig". good luck. there's an awesome kdx message board , look up dnr forums, if you want some better information. ciao!

good luck.

those bikes are going to seem weak to him in 6 months.. the kdx is great if he respects the power. if he just wants to play both those 4 strokes will last a long time and will work out.

I'd suggest a CRF230 for him. If he wants to go fast the KDX is perfect, they're easy to ride especially with an FMF Gnarly.

Ok this is how I see it I have never riden but been on both bikes ok the ttr 125 is lighter but with a smaller engine--the ttr230 is heavier with a bigger engine.

the ttr 125 has a enormous amount of aftermarket support and engine boring kits

the ttr 230 has little if any

in my opinion get a used ttr 125 and get a bigger bore kit to make up for the power and it should be the perfect bike

My wife's TTR-125 is a bit cramped for me at 5'3", and my wife at 5'2" is starting to feel the ergonomic limitations of the bike... as well as the suspension.

I also feel the 230 is overweight and underpowered. But it'd definitely be better than the 125 for a taller rider. I haven't ridden the CRF230, but have a couple aquaintances who really like them. I also have a friend who loves his KDX200.

There's no way you want to be putting money into either of those bikes if it's going to come close to a kdx. The kdx is not hard to ride. It allows you to ride it easy if you want to. Plus, it's a freakin' cadillac as far as comfort. And it's light too. So if you're going to put $2000 into a 125 or a heavy azz 230/225, don't bother.

I'm not saying the ttr125L isn't a good bike. But seriously, for any guy, they are going to thrash it to threads even as a newbie in a few months. But it's a GREAT bike for a wife or gf. Especially with electric start! :banghead:

Thanks a lot for all of your input. Your suggestions were much appreciated. I will definitely look into both the KDX and the CRF230 :banghead:

There's no way you want to be putting money into either of those bikes if it's going to come close to a kdx. The kdx is not hard to ride. It allows you to ride it easy if you want to. Plus, it's a freakin' cadillac as far as comfort. And it's light too. So if you're going to put $2000 into a 125 or a heavy azz 230/225, don't bother.

I'm not saying the ttr125L isn't a good bike. But seriously, for any guy, they are going to thrash it to threads even as a newbie in a few months. But it's a GREAT bike for a wife or gf. Especially with electric start! :banghead:

Until mid range my CRF is as good or better than my dads KDX, the KDX rules when conditions open up, even my dad (15-20 years of experience) says the his CRF is easier to ride than his KDX, it lets you relax a little while you have to be a little more on top of the KDX all the time. The CRF doesn't feel any heavier than the KDX, and I know I'd have an easier time picking the lower CRF up than the taller KDX.