Sign in to follow this  

If I pick up a FCR for my SM what jet kit should I use?

Thinking I may just get an FCR vs doing the FMF kit for the Mikuni since the one for the SM seems to be on back order till November. So if I go this route should I just get the jet kit for the E?

Also has anyone used a Pod type filter to replace the whole air box if you are keeping the bike on the road?

No Dynojet kit is recommended for the FCR. you just follow the reccomendations of "burned" here, he is the local jetting expert. I don't think you'd gain anything but noise from a pod filter on a stock SM.

what about if you are running stage 2 hot cams and a full yoshi RS3, or is a 3x3 air box just as good?

I am more asking as I could buy a pos filter for about $30 vs spending $75 on E parts for the swap.

My understanding is that if you have the emm needle for the FCR it would be a waste to buy a jet kit. If you don't have th emm needle you want the James Dean kit.

i'm waiting to get my fcr. i don't know what jet kit you'll need but for the mikuni the s kit will work you'll just have to buy a 25 pj and a bigger mj(don't know what alt your at)have you done the 3x3 and do you have a pipe?haven't trird a pod type filter but i had a k&n and it sucked(didn't suck enough air)put on a twin air worked great.good luck.

BTW-the fcr is good for 5hp.everyone one says that if they have to do it again the fcr would of been the first thing they would modify

ok i see that you've done a few things now.the 3x3mod is the max amount of air that mikuni can suck the restriction is the air boot so a pod type might be worth trying

I have not done anything. Ordered the FMF SM jet kit a little over a week ago and was told it was on BO friday (local place, probably getting it from parts unlimited). So that kind of put a hold on the rest. I picked up a 25 pilot amd 140 main when I was there, as I remember that is what I needed but realised when I got home those are what to used if you have the DJ/FMF needle, so rather then go back and buy a 150 main and do the box I figure I will jest do the FMF since the bike is alread apart, as I just want to get it over with.

On thing I am not sure on is that if I go with the FCR should I pick up an E petcock or does the FCR have a vacuum connection for the S/SM petcock.

installing a pod filter on a non tapered intake bell will be the fastes way to slow your bike down.

get the right air boot.

NP just asking. Figured a more open filter would flow better then the stock box plus it would be nice to lose the weight but guess not.

Just a little info as far as the airbox boot, I just did some clean up port work and 1mm bigger valves both in/ex. this weekend, I put the stock head,cams on the flow bench and tested it every .050 lift and its pretty good as it comes, I put the FCR,stock E boot on after doing a base line and it picked up the CFM a few points over the bare head so the stock boot is no harm at all.

after the big valves and port work and stage 1 hot cams I flowed it again and much better picked up 26 cfm on the intake and 15 on the exhaust, I will have it together in the next few days. More to come.......

Mike Bruns