Sign in to follow this  

flat repair

I've had 3 flats the last year, first 2 times close to home rode them flat. Today I was 15 miles from the house. I injected fixoflat inflated then most ran right back out, then I co2 cartridged it ran my out, so 15 miles to home riding flat. I run very heavy tubes and the tir I ran was very stout so it worked.

But aside from a road side teardown, is there nothing really that going to work.

I mean a small can of fixoflat is $9 and co2 another $10 and , I think it would have done just as well without them? cause the combo didn't work too well

sheet meatal screw , should I leave the screw in and apply the stuff an co2

I'm debating whether another $20 on fixofalt and co2 is worth it

not on my motorcycle , but have on bicycle and not sure I cared for it

you think slimed tube and the a co2 would be a better option

it was a heavy tube but the screw probably ripped it pretty good, I haven't tore down yet

main reason the slime I thought would hurt balancing

Try slime as a preventive solution but always carry a 21" spare tube on your front fender.

Noppy

always carry a 21" spare tube on your front fender.

Noppy

Thats a good idea if you get a flat on a 21" wheel.... :banghead:

you can stuff the 21 inch tube in the rear wheel temporary for the ride home or to the truck/trailer.easier than carrying 2 tubes.done it many time before i figured out how much air pressure to run.

Well, the tube had (3) 1 inch slits in it, no way anything would have helped it hold air.

Doesn't it make you wish DRZ's ran tubeless.

Stick a plug in and re-inflate, job done.

OH MAN , you got that right

I'm looking towards an fz1 or somthing similar, I will get a plug kit and co2 cartridge for that. KLX will have to hold up till that time, the thought of breaking a tire down on side of the road is not my ideal scenario>G<

I sweated quite alot for an 1 hour in my back yard with decent tools, GT 501 is a pretty stout tire, it's v rated to 133mph.

I just ordered a BT45, will be interesting to see how it does.

I've run slime for 2000 miles in HD tubes. no flats or balance issues, but it does like to clog the valve stem and mung up my cheapo pressure guage. slime is designed to be run the the tire all the time, not just as an emergency fix.

I've run slime for 2000 miles in HD tubes. no flats or balance issues, but it does like to clog the valve stem and mung up my cheapo pressure guage. slime is designed to be run the the tire all the time, not just as an emergency fix.

I fully agree. Once at the repair shop, they were supposed to change my tires, but they couldn't deflate the rear tire, because the valve stem was fully clugged with Slime (so it also works with bigger holes)h. Finally, we got it open by using a drill!

On the rear I drive a Teraflex II, so very seldom I would need to repair it on thetrail, because it wil also run home with 0 BAR in it :banghead:

The thing with the Slime is, when you've got a big hole or 'snake bite' it WILL become a big mess, that's why you need the spare tire with you. Thank you for your noble support Burned!

Noppy

Doesn't it make you wish DRZ's ran tubeless.

Stick a plug in and re-inflate, job done.

OH MAN , you got that right

I just ordered a BT45, will be interesting to see how it does.

Spud have you thought of running tubeless either by using a proper kit, or by sealing the rim/spokes with tape or similar.

I posted a while back about my experiment using just insulating tape and a standard car type pull in rubber valve.

I did not ride on it, but it held 50 psi for a couple of weeks, without problem.

I have been thinking recently about trying to seal the rim/spokes and valve with Sicaflex, which is a very strong silicone type adhesive.

Maybe reinforcing it with a turn of coarse narrow glass fibre tape, rather like fibre glassing but with the silicone instead.

Neil.

:banghead::banghead:🤣

I know there are kits out there, but the real tubless rims seems to have a much tighter bead fit. I've seen where some home doers actually have to use a press to break the bead.

I truely was impressed that tire and heavy tube was ridable flat, I mean straight line I could do 45mph okay, corners was not as bad as my last tire when I had a flat.

even after running it flat for 15 miles gt 501 it shows no fatique, the maxxis 6103 I only rode a mile flat and it was dang near unridable, very flexy tire.

Hopefully the BT45 is as stout as the GT501. The GT was a little skinnier than I prefer, the BT measurements on the rear show to be slightly wider.

I already fixed the GT501 and test rode it. Forking out the time and effort for a tubless setup, I'll just make due with what I have.

3 rear flats in the last 12 months, maybe I get a break :banghead:

atleast I could ride it home without destroying the rim