CRF230 Burning Oil

If I gas the bike, then let off the throttle when the revs drop past (I'm guessing) 4-5K it starts to blow out blue smoke, then when I give it gas again right after the revs dropped it will blow out a bit more then it will stop.

2005 CRF230F, bought new at the end of May. It has about 130-140 hours and around 5,500 kilometers on it.

Anyone know what's going on?

It's still under warranty so do you think the shop will fix it for free?

The valve guides are not drilled concentricly (sp) and thus the valve guide seals tend to weep a little oil. At least this was the case with my bike.

Also, the factory installed the rings incorrectly on my bike. They installed the chrome faced ring below the ductile ring......in a year, the top ring was toast, and it was using oil.

Blue Smoke is not the cause of poor jetting.

A little smoke is really nothing to worry about. If it starts to look like your fogging for mosquito's then you may want to look at some repair work.

If the performance is still good, keep riding it. Oil is CHEAP! Rebuild procedures are expensive.

Check your air box. There may be oil build up inside. If there is clean it out, service the air filter, and empty the drain tube on the bottom of the air box (open it by pinching it). If you have any questions, E-mail me....I'll be glad to help! :banghead:

Airbox and air filter are clean, so it the drain tube. It really smokes bad when I start it up and gas it. it didn't do this before.

Does your bike smoke after its warmed up? Does it smoke at higher rpms more?

Sometimes it will smoke after it's warmed up, sometimes it won't. Yes it does smoke at higher RPM's a lot more than at low. Especially when I start it and gas it and it gets into the high RPM's.

Sometimes it will smoke after it's warmed up, sometimes it won't. Yes it does smoke at higher RPM's a lot more than at low. Especially when I start it and gas it and it gets into the high RPM's.

Sounds like your rings are not sealing properly from dirt/sand scratching your cylinder. If could possibly be your valve seals but smoking more at higher rpm usually means a scratched/scored cylinder. Have you been cleaning your filter regularly? A little bit of sand can easily scratch your cylinder wall, leading to oil blow by. If your bike keeps on smoking after its warmed up, you will need to get new rings and hone the cylinder IMO. This might be a good excuse to do a bigbore job :banghead:

Sounds like your rings are not sealing properly from dirt/sand scratching your cylinder. If could possibly be your valve seals but smoking more at higher rpm usually means a scratched/scored cylinder. Have you been cleaning your filter regularly? A little bit of sand can easily scratch your cylinder wall, leading to oil blow by. If your bike keeps on smoking after its warmed up, you will need to get new rings and hone the cylinder IMO. This might be a good excuse to do a bigbore job :banghead:

I guess that explains why it started smoking after my big crash, I had to ride it home and when I got home I cleaned the air filter, the bottom of the airbox was full of sand, some must have gotten into the cylinder. Shit, this is gonna cost me some $.