Sign in to follow this  

even more exhaust questions

I just bought an '02 DRZ400E. It has a Yosh slipon & no plug, 3x3 mod, it's been jetted and it runs great. But damn it's LOUD I'm considering adding a tec plug to dampen the noise a bit (go ahead and make fun of me you young guys). I'm guessing I will sacrifice a bit of power by doing that. here's the questions:

If I add a tec kit will I need to re-jet?

Given that it's a slip-on would I make up any of the lost power by going with a complete exhaust?

Can I add a Yosh header pipe to the slip-on or is it a whole different setup?

I've searched the archives for answers but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info so thanks in advance for any advice.

Yosh won't sell you a head pipe seperately so that option is out unless of course you could find someone who has trashed their can and wants to part out the headpipe off a full system.

I hear that fmf headpipes will work but don't have any personal experience with it.

I'd think that a full yosh with the tec insert would have better responsivness than a slip on without the tec insert, but no personal experience so just guessing here.

dont know all answers and am mostly just bumping this back to the top to help out a fellow rider. Can say that, yes you will lose some power and would likely benefit from a slight leaning of the wfo throttle position by dropping the needle a slot or a half slot but should be about the same at low throttle opennings. Most systems are made of three pieces: head, mid, and silencer. Most slip-ons consist of a mid pipe and a silencer, therefore you are just giving up the head pipe. In the case of Yosh though, there is apparently a big increase in pipe diameter over stock E.

there is apparently a big increase in pipe diameter over stock E.

Yosh and muzzy measure basically the same here. Mine is a muzzy and used for demonstration purposes only. The first couple of inches are the same on both, notice the step on the muzzy, it only gets bigger from there.

headpipe_comparison2.jpg

Thanks guys, the collective wisdom available on this forum is a great resource. I guess I'll take it one step at a time, install the tec insert and see how it effects the running. If need be I guess I can ebay the slip on and replace it with a system.

Cheers,

R

The first couple of inches are the same on both, notice the step on the muzzy, it only gets bigger from there.>>>>

nice looking head pipe! Is that a ceramic coating?

The first couple of inches are the same on both, notice the step on the muzzy, it only gets bigger from there.>>>>

nice looking head pipe! Is that a ceramic coating?

Nope, just the stainless. I took the pic before it was even mounted up.