Baja 1000

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No comments on the course?

I've been told the 10 mile section out of mikes and over to the San Telmo road is insane. Were gonna prerun it in the daytime and see if any of us are stupid enough to do it at night. If we get through that, el coyote and simpsons shoud be a cake walk.

bob

The course is similar to 2001...slower and lots of woops/rocks technical stuff--its also trails that have been raced extensively in the last few years so some teams will know it like the back of their hand...depending on the weather it might be an issue at night with the fog. I feel sorry for team Honda on this course-i dont think they will win if they are on the 650R....I think Abbott/Esposito or Ty Davis or even Juha Salminen/Caselli could overall this thing. Too bad they wont be there...

RM 270-287 is the best of old baja--its too bad they are going to destroy this little gem. Smooth banked road like it was 30 years ago...

RM 134-145 is the old Roesler/Campbell cheater route!

RM 100-110 is MUCH harder to climb than Simpsons--rock ledges that jut up 2' vertical in the middle of a long rocky hill climb--its a miracle that stock VW's can do this...its the tuffest hillclimb used in any SCORE race course.

RM 210-240 is endless woops.

I only see two places where the big bikes will make time: RM 380-390 and RM 30-40. The hills, woops and rocks will be faster for the lighter bikes.

Just as the 500 saw some 450 yamahas, CRFX bikes, and 525 KTM's--this year's results will be similar. Less Hondas, more of the new 4 strokes...

I really dont thing Honda will win but they might retain their 1X plate with some luck....it would be a great place to race the 600/650X! I think the pressure will get to them and they will crash hard pushing that heavy bike.

It will be interesting to see if KTM keeps on it with the 710 or goes for the 540. Maybe one of each? The 540 is the smart choice...i hope they learned that at Vegas to Reno...

At least 2 Husqvarnas will be at the 1000 this year!

Irondudes Top Ten Pick:

Blaise---------its his turn

Norman-------young guns on the run

Childress-----steady and confident

Hengeveld----Johnny hit a cow

Welch--------Hardin hit a donkey

O Neil--------Steady as ever-first over 40

Fontaine-----first 450-second over 40

Tubrey-------getting faster

Morton-------first 250

Mexican team-first over 30.

I've been told the 10 mile section out of mikes and over to the San Telmo road is insane.

No worries on that section, it's easy. That loop from Mikes to Coyote is really fun....just be careful for that 1 tight right hander....

Like AluminumDude sez, the Summit is bad-ass. If you're worried about the Mikes loop then you really won't like the Summit. This is the real Summit, it's a fun time!

My take is that if KTM races the 700 they aint gonna win, Honda's got it in the bag IMO.

If KTM races a 525 then it'll be an interesting race but I still give it to Honda.

Even if any of those other names Iron mentioned came out there is almost no way they'd beat Honda. I doubt Juha could come close to hanging with any of the 6 fastest Baja guys.

We know what the Teams are for Honda. But for KTM it'll be Andy/Chris/Kellon and maybe another team of Quinn/Harden/and?

Pastrana and Robby Reynard in a truck?!?

Oh, I forgot....

"At least 2 Husqvarnas will be at the 1000 this year!"

Oneis Iron/Brian but who on the other?

But for KTM it'll be Andy/Chris/Kellon and maybe another team of Quinn/Harden/and?

You sure about that? I just assumed it would be Blaise/Grider and Walsh/Hardin....I also heard KTM will race a bike of Red Bull guys 'for fun'. Not sure what thats all about...

"At least 2 Husqvarnas will be at the 1000 this year!"

The other Husqvarna team is TTer 'Stolidog' aka Rich Zajic and buds on a TE510.

CastIronDude - The "quote" part you did in the last post is a little messed up. I was wondering what the Hell I had written.

But....Yeah, I'd bet it would be like that with the KTM guys.

You mean KTM bring over some Rally guys? That would be neat but I would say they can't hang in Baja, it's too rough for them guys. We all saw how Marc Coma did in Nevada. They'd maybe be top 10'ers.

OH, and while you're at picking top 10 teams I think you need to stick Scot Myers, Ron Wilson, and Taber Murphy in there at around 3 or 4 OA and 1st Class 30. If they keep it together those guys are on fire. And that is a totally unbiased opinion if you know my feeling about Ron (my bro in law).

I didn;t know "stoli" was Rich Z. Speaking of "stoli", I read on another board his 510 broke at V-R.

Who is Tubrey? Do you mean Jason Trubey? He's allready fast,and smooth.You should see him on a KX500! Sure,I'd like to see a good race between X and Y team. Hoping that someone hits a cow though is not too cool! I wouldn't wish that on anyone.Even when I'm lined up ready to race.What if it were you? I havn't heard about the moto guy's in a truck.Put them in a "limited" truck with a good team and they would be O.K.. As for driving a ProTruck or Trophy Truck,....yard sale or in a ditch. Not enough seat time to really get a handle on it.

Last time this course was used Johnny hit a cow...hence the reference-and no i dont wish it on anyone. Just a metaphor for Honda having 'problems' this time. I put Hardin hitting a donkey just to be equal! so there...

Yeah ok so i misspelled Jasons last name...i type fast...if nothing else!

And another thing--the top ten was a bit tongue in cheak. I dont have a clue who all has entered--the drawing isnt for a few more days! For sure theres a couple really fast guys that will pop up on Wendsday...might even push Morto out of my top ten list!!

GET ON IT!!

I am, I am, got the Tecates and Modelos ready, plenty of gas for the grill to cook the asada, Hooked up the surround sound to the P.C and the invitations are in the mail...This is way better than the super bowl :banghead:

as far as I know NO CRF's have ever won over a 650R. the only class that a CRF has won in Baja is class 21 (nothing over 250cc), and this is regardless of terrain. :banghead:

class 22, open class, 650R

class 30, 650R

class 40, 650R

class 50, 650R

sportsman class, 650R

the day that a CRF 450 wins First place over a 650R is the day that I switch over to a CRF bike. I know that that day is almost here but it has not happend yet. Keep in mind that I'm only talking about a Baja race (SF250, Baja 500 or Baja 1000). I'm also only talking about FIRST place in class and not second or third. one exception, class 50 may be the first class that a 450 beats a 650.

If you guys know something different please list it here.

Rudy is totally right.

But Rudy, it came close to you switching to a 450 at the B.500...it was only 3 minutes difference between 1st and 2nd Class 40. Maybe soon....

Rudy, who are you riding with at the 1000?

Oh, and BalsawoodDude, when your talking about Top 10 another team comes to mind...the Swedes, the team wth that Dakar guy, what's his name, they'll also have Pete Postel on their bike in C40. Very good team.

that is right Tim...the time is coming soon but not yet. as far as the 1000 I'm racing with Rob Barnum. We only have a 2 man team and we are hopping for another rider to race class 30. sponsorship money pending of course :banghead:

Irondude and Mike Kay should team up and race the "exotic team" ... you guys are really pushing the non-honda stuff. honda is too heavy, honda is too bla bla bla... husky, husabergs and the other non-jap bikes are great but just not for baja, IMO. KTM is putting money into it so they will get there day soon just like they did in the SF250 of this year.

I fully believe that if other factory teams come to baja honda would not win so frequent (kawi, yamaha) but they don't and they won't.

Detroitboundmoto-i was thinking about PG, almost listed him. That puts you out of the top 10 :banghead:

As for trashing the euro bikes but plugging the Hondas....well ok....so whats the difference between that and the opposite of that?

As for the CRF bikes--i agree they arent up to baja. You guys are correct! I tried racing one and it died on me at mile 336 last year.

KTM 540 could win this 1000. Absolutely positively no reason it cant win. It won the Baja 300, and SF 250. No reason it cant win the 1000 loop course...

In fact----you Honda guys want to make a little wager!!!!!!!!!!? ?

.... ultimately its gonna be fun down there no matter what bike one rides::banghead:

Well it looks like I'm in this year. I'll be riding with the Trailboss team 40 class and my section is the mikes loop down to Valley T. My only concern is pre running and gas over that section. I also need a place to camp before the race. I don't know if I'll bring my camper. I would like to do one loop in the day and another at night. :banghead:

Right on!

If its not top secret info-who else is on the team?

What bike?

We are also class 40--403x on a Husqvarna TE510. Myself and Brian Schmuckle.

Brian will start to Independecia,

I will do the summit to borrego

Brian will do the Felipe shiiiit.

Then i will take it home.

I will be down doing the summit and Mikes Loop next tuesday-thursday...

We just picked up a new XR650R and there sending it down to BD to get it ready. We are having a super charger and Nos kit installed to give it a little extra power :banghead: No not really :banghead:

So far Chris, Nan, myself, Tim Savin, and a couple others I don't know will be the team. Everything just started so no real details at this time. I'm heading to Death Valley for a week to train with the family. Nothing like riding two up in rocks and sand to get me back into shape.

As time gets closer I'll know more but I want to hook up with you guys if not to say HI. I know Tim Mortin but that's it. This time I'll be able to see some of the race before it gets to me. In 2002 it was dark before I saw the first Bike/Truck. I'm working out details to prerun on 11/16-11/17 I would like to run it at night at least once.

you are going to live up to your name "irondude" with this kind of milage. maybe a new name can be "ironbud"?

Brian will start to Independecia, aprox 90 miles, good :busted:

I will do the summit to borrego, 90-200, 110 miles good :busted:

Brian will do the Felipe shiiiit. 200-400, 200 miles, tough but manageable?

Then i will take it home, here is a problem, 400-700, 300 miles!!! :banghead: including the Mike's loop :banghead: I'm sure you can do it but not at speed for that long...how are you planning to beat the ONeal team with this strategy? ?