Sign in to follow this  

Rear Wheel Binding

My rear wheel seems to be binding up when it is on the stand and I spin it to cleanor lube the chain. The chain is an RK X-Ring chain that is less than a few months old and hasn't had a whole lot of use. I replaced the rear wheel bearings two weeks ago and the whell doesn't spin very well. Does anyone know what could cause this so I can add it to my winter repairs list.

Thanks

Check and see if the brake is making the wheel stop. Your rotor might be bent, and that is causing the brake to be "hanging" up. Take a screw driver and pry the brake pads apart and see if that is what it is. Just my $.02

Hope the shaft isn't bent :banghead::banghead:

If it isn't the brake remove the chain and spin the wheel, then try the front cog. While the chain is off wiggle each link. Check your axle alignment as well.

It wouldn't be unusual to have a fair amount of drag on the rear wheel when turning it by hand. A sort of rule of thumb is that you'll usually only get about 3/4 of a turn out of giving it a good spin by hand.

The chain is probably the cause of most of it. Dismount it and try it that way. You can also push the brake padsaside with a screwdriver, and check just the bearings.

Chain drag from a sealed chain is deceptive when you see it like this, and it doesn't really cost you as much underway as you would think. But, if you think after checking that it's too much, the chain may be binding, or running out of the sealed in lube. Check a similarly equipped bike for a comparison.

I forgot to mention that I replaced the rotor a few months ago and installed a Pro-Moto Billet sharkfin. So im almost positive it couldn't be the rotor. I will have to check out those other things tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a sharkfin on mine and I just noticed that my rotor is bent. Sit behind the bike and keep your eye on the rotor, give the wheel a spin and watch it. Or do the above test by pushing back the pads and spin the wheel. I can see that my rotor is the problem, glad that my sharkfin did it's job.