Sign in to follow this  

ktm450exc v ktm 250sxf v crf450x

I currently ride a crf250x and am looking for more power. I weigh 150lbs and am 6ft. I want the handeling on the 250x but i like that the 450exc is almost street legal because i am going to make my bike street legal with in a year. SO what one should i get i do mostly tight trail riding with some fast sections and fire roads

Dont hesitate on upsizing to the exc 450. I love mine in the conditions you described and Ive ridden a 250x a bit. Although The 250 definitly feels lighter and more flickable, the power diff is a bigtime advantage. My buddy w the 250 feels the same way, although he weighs 150 as well hes only 5'8" and would have a hard time picking the 450 up regularly. To gain some power he added a 270 kit and is very happy w the results, and I must say it made a big diff for him.

You also listed the 250SXF in your header. I went from the CRF 250x to the SXF250. For one it feels like a feather compared to the CRF. The power is much more. At first I felt the suspension to be a little harsh compared to the CRF, but now that it's broken in and I've done some adjustments I like it better. It corners so much easier for me and is just all around a higher quality bike

Would you really want to make a 250 4 stroke into a street bike? I don't like the big 4 strokes because they are so heavy, but if you are going to use it on the street I think it is the way to go. I haven't ridden the 450exc, but I have ridden the crf250x and the crf450x and I've also ridden a 2002 520 sx and that was the only 4 stroke I would even consider. I've also ridden a 2005 crf250r.

I too came off a CRF 250X and onto a 450 EXC,I found the handling somewhat different,but the power is there in a instant,where I found it really good was lugging my 100 + kilo body up gnarly snotty hills,just stick it in the preferred gear and up you go with very little clutch work.Don`t hesitate,go the 450 EXC,better valve adjustments,no shimming and it comes complete with no add ons needed out of the box.

All good bikes... Something to consider if you're going to dual sport it is a Husky. They're coming all tricked out as an ass-kick'n "dual" enduro bike out of the box this year (all 4s enduro models). :ride:

Having said that, I was on the fence as well & picked the 450exc & dual sported it (Enduro Engineering has some simple & cheap solutions to do this). No regrets... :applause: