Sign in to follow this  

Hot weather southern riders with the JD kit: question

Do you switch to the blue needle during the fall/winter? At what temp should the blue needle be used? The kit just says for cool weather use the blue, and for hot weather use the red at my elevation. Well, here in Texas anything under 100 degrees is considered cool!! The daytime temp is staying in the 80's lately, just wondering if it's time to switch to the blue, or should I just run the red all year round?

Thanks!

I thought I remembered reading something about 80 degrees being the switchover to the blue, but I may be wrong. I just installed the kit in my bike this weekend, and went with the blue needle even though I'm in Phoenix. I put in the blue needle because I'm anticipating winter (if you can consider phoenix having a winter!) and figure I don't ride that much when it's super hot anyway.

RiderX,

I recently tried to make the switch to the blue needle when it got into the 80 degree range and less humid. I didn't have near the bottom end so I put the red needle back in. It was in the low 70's yesterday for our HS and the red needle is still working great. I am not going to change until I notice a real difference, maybe temps under 60. :banghead: The only change I made to the carb otherwise is down 5 on the main. I run the needle in the 4th clip.

I only will switch from red to blue with the temp consistently below 70 degrees here @ sea level with low humidity. So with Texas being @ about the same elevation, 80's, and still humid, I would stick with the red needle for now.

Cheers,

AF1 Racing dyno-tuned my yz with JD kit and left the red in, so i run red year round...never have any issues.

Ed and Micah are awesome, aren't they? If I wasn't 1200 miles away I would get all my bikes serviced by those guys! AF1 is quality service without any attitude. I recently picked up an Aprilia Falco SL1000R from them. What a screamer! Weekends are now a tough decision, YZ250F or Falco :banghead: Anyone near Austin should check their shop out.

Cheers,

Yeah they do really good work...very good at tuning a bike for sure. They'll see my 06 YZ450F for a little dyno time - if that doggone thing ever gets here :banghead:

The blue needle is used for temps below 80F and low to moderate humidity. The red needle is the same needle except the low end is leaned out a bit. The red needle should be used for temps above 80F moderate to high humidity. :banghead: