Sign in to follow this  

BLOWN 250/Slit case, everything pulled apart

well i posted a thread a while back with pics of my 98 CR250..i know its a pinger but i'm looken for a 450 right now. Anywho here are some pics of it in progress. i split the case and have done all the work myself. i refuse to ever take my bike into a shop because if they can do it so can i.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/untitled.jpg

Heres the table i set up to spread it all out. I have to keep it organized because i can only work on it in the weekends because i'm at school all week.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split10.jpg

heres the gear case, 4 gears are already off, the rest can't fall off so i left em

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split3.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split8.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split4.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/Ridewot911/split5.jpg

I hope you know how it goes back together. :banghead:

well i got no instructions, but i'm sure i'll figure it out. always have before :banghead:

well i got no instructions, but i'm sure i'll figure it out. always have before :banghead:

if you've gotten this far, you shouldnt have any problems gettn er back together...dont be scared of puttn the trans back together, it only goes one way!

that case looks extremely clean...nice work! i have two questions for you...

!a) did you buy a case splitting tool?

!🤣 if not how did you split the cases?

!!a) did you buy a flywheel puller?

!!🤣 if not what did you use the pull the flywheel?

🤣:banghead:

that case looks extremely clean...nice work! i have two questions for you...

!a) did you buy a case splitting tool?

!🤣 if not how did you split the cases?

!!a) did you buy a flywheel puller?

!!🤣 if not what did you use the pull the flywheel?

🤣:banghead:

Thanks i take pride in my work. no i did not buy a case splitting tool, i used a razor blade and tapped it around the case to break the seal. then i just kept tapping lightly and pulled it apart. Then yes i did buy a flyweight puller. i tried a lot of stuff, but i did not know what was under there,so i didn't pry or pull hard. i didn't know if it was just a weight or if it had electronic stuff witch it did, so it was 10.99 well spent. :banghead: I'm trying to find the cheapest place to take my cylindar to get it re chromed, or nickle plated witch ever it is. I ordered the piston and needle bearing and a complete gasket kit. I hope to be able to take the crank to a local shop and have them replace the bearing and balance it.

Check the Main bearings well. They look kinda rusty. If they are original from 98, just replace them while you have it apart. If there is any roughness whatsoever they must be replaced. Press them out and press the new ones in. Resist the temptation to beat them out with a hammer. :banghead:

Same goes for all other bearings in the trans.

CR250 cranks are more or less non-rebuildable due to the pressed-on spring steel caps that cover the flywheels. I know there are companies that sell rebuild kits for them with a pin and big-end bearing, but that don't make it right. A complete new crank assy. can be had from Honda for $160-$220 or so, depending on where you get it from. It will be brand-new, trued and balanced.

You can also get complete crank assy's from Hot-Rods or whoever that company is. I have never used these and don't know how good they are.

How are you going to get the cases back together without the tool that "pulls" the crank into the cases? It is a very snug fit and you are trying to line up the crank, 2 transmission shafts, 2 shift rails, the shift drum, and the shift shaft. Beating it with a hammer won't work. 🤣

Good luck! :banghead:

How are you going to get the cases back together without the tool that "pulls" the crank into the cases? It is a very snug fit and you are trying to line up the crank, 2 transmission shafts, 2 shift rails, the shift drum, and the shift shaft. Beating it with a hammer won't work. :banghead:

Good luck! :banghead:

don't know yet, gently and without forcing anything

Your more organized than me.. I have parts stuck in drawers for my yfs 200 blaster.

I hope you know how it goes back together. :banghead:

dude i agree 100% thats alot of money if you have to bring all that :banghead: to a honda dealer or somethign and ask to have it put back together

thats a dumb move, you should have gone out and bought a manual before trying to do something like this. even the pro's pull out the manual for help

from the looks of it your doing pretty good so far, i would go slow, and keep an eye on everything/ lay everything on the table as you take it out. be sure nothing falls, and when putting it all back together go easy, the bike is made to go together, <it's not a back yard project> every piece is made to fit perfect, so if it dosent go in, wait. look, see what the problem could be and go again. just dont force anything. the advatage of a cooike sheet bike is they are all built to go together smooth

from the looks of it your doing pretty good so far, i would go slow, and keep an eye on everything/ lay everything on the table as you take it out. be sure nothing falls, and when putting it all back together go easy, the bike is made to go together, <it's not a back yard project> every piece is made to fit perfect, so if it dosent go in, wait. look, see what the problem could be and go again. just dont force anything. the advatage of a cooike sheet bike is they are all built to go together smooth

Yup thats what i did when i took it apart. I zip tied the gears that would come off in order so i don't mess up any of the thrustwashers etc. I do know that when it goes back together that it will fit perfectly and that banging on it with a hammer won't help. Thats what i love about working on bikes and engines in general. If you do it right it will work perfectly. :banghead:

thats a dumb move, you should have gone out and bought a manual before trying to do something like this. even the pro's pull out the manual for help

well i don't think it was a dumb move. I have done harder projects than this with great success. If a mechanic has to pull out a manual i don't think they are a pro mechanic. they should know the bike inside and out and could probably do it with their eyes closed. I'll post pics in a week or two when i get teh crank redone so i can get the case back together. Then i have to wait 4-5 weeks for the cylinder to get re-coated. :banghead: i'm bumbed i can't ride for at least a month but thats racing.

It's not impossible to do. A Honda service manual would help, but it's not necesarry. There really are no special torque settings for the bottom end that must be adhered to.

I've done quite a few bottom ends and most of them were Honda CR's. Like I said in my first post, the main concern I have is how you are going to get the crank into the case halves. The fit of the crank journals into the main bearings is very snug, a semi-press fit. Yamahas go together by hand, but for CR's I have always had to use a crank puller to pull the crank into the main bearings. Maybe you can borrow one from a shop or have them do just this one step for you.

Also, once you get the case halves back together with the crank in the first thing you want to do is throw the shifter on and run it through the gears by hand. This way, if it's not working right you can take it back apart right away and fix it.