Sign in to follow this  

Tight spokes?

I just got back fro ma trip to TN. Before I left I tightened my spokes front and rear. Not too tight but good and snug. I did some trail riding, nothing too serious. I went down once but it was just a wash out, no hits to the rims or anything hard. I was unloading my bike tonight when I got home and realized I have a bent front rim. I drove 13hrs. there and 13 back with the bike in the back of my pick-up. The temperature was around 80 when I left Va. and got down in the 50's while I was in TN. Now my big dilemma is this - What caused the rim to bend, weather or tight spokes, and is it salvageable? Is there a torque for spokes? :banghead:

no weather i've ever experience would bend a rim, its was either how tight you strpped it down in your truck or your riding, most likly your riding, i don't know how bad its bent, most likely its not savagable

Man.....that sucks! I don't know what did it? Thats my first time with this problem though. I've always kept my spokes tight though to keep from loosing one or turning a rim into a taco. Looks like I'm going to be getting those blue anodized rims sooner than I thought. :banghead:

Looks like I'm going to be getting those blue anodized rims sooner than I thought. :banghead:

ahh poor you🤣

i'm getting black pro wheel rims soon. i like them becuase they can be used with stock spokes :banghead:

It wont matter what kind of rims you have if you do not have the correct torque on all spokes. You most likely overtightend some of your spokes which caused the wheel to have different loading conditions at different locations on the wheel. To loose or tight is very dangerous and you are lucky you didn't really wipe out and hurt yourself. The stock torque for the wr is 26.4 in/lb. Some people recommend 45 in/lb for all spokes but the ride feels harsh to me that high. You must loosen all spokes hand loose and start tightening at small increments every other spoke switching sides eachtime so that you have even tightening around the wheel. I have a spoke torque wrench which is very handy but costs about 150.00 or so. It takes about an hour per wheel to correctly set the torque. You can also set by the sound of the spoke when struck with your wrench. Not as accurate and torque is a guess as best but that is the next best method. Find a buddy and invest in a spoke torque wrench. :banghead:

Do spokes "stretch" out to the point of not being able to tighen them anymore? I can't tighten the spokes on my son's bike front or rear--they are as tight as they go--but the wheels are all out of wack. His bike constantly needs spoke tightening or they loosen up just when you think they are good. I have all the spokes safety wired.

So--should I loosen all of them then begin to tighten them equally all the way around? There is a sligth flat spot on one side of the front rim--but not too bad.

My spokes are fine--I check them by sound about once a month and every now and then I get a loose one or two and simply tighten them to sound like the others.

Do spokes "stretch" out to the point of not being able to tighen them anymore? I can't tighten the spokes on my son's bike front or rear--they are as tight as they go--but the wheels are all out of wack. His bike constantly needs spoke tightening or they loosen up just when you think they are good. I have all the spokes safety wired.

So--should I loosen all of them then begin to tighten them equally all the way around? There is a sligth flat spot on one side of the front rim--but not too bad.

My spokes are fine--I check them by sound about once a month and every now and then I get a loose one or two and simply tighten them to sound like the others.

Yes you should loosen all spokes and start over on your sons bike, especially if the wheels are like you say. To achieve the torque required to support the wheel doesn't take very much with a wrench, it is easy to overtighten. You should never have to tighten all the way that is dangerous. The spokes are pushing against each other around the wheel so having them too tight could exceed the max. allowable stress and strain and cause failure. Normally that would occur at impact on a large jump of which the rider will end up eating dirt. Too loose can cause bending also. An in-balance of torque could cause some of the spokes to loosen which increases the load on the tight spokes. Continuing to tighten will only chase the problem around the wheel. If the wheel is warped when all spokes are loose you might consider a new wheel. Personally I would try to warp it back as much as possible first then re-tighten the spokes as described, not too tight. Check the pressure on another bike and try to end up with a similar pressure and you should be ok. A couple of hours sitting turning spokes and you'll have it down. :banghead:

Thanks--I'll put my son on it tonight and loosen them all up for now, then I'll take a look at them tomorrow. He can't ride his bike because of grades right now but can work on it. I can ride and am riding tonight--whooooohoooo! It just eats him up too because he knows I am going to a nice track he knows he can ride way better than me!

Man, I remember being grounded from my bike for grades. It damaged me for life. I still wake up with cold sweats from that. :banghead:

My son is lucky he is not in a points race and I have not also grounded him from deer hunting--that's next if he doesn't straighten out and put school first. Riding last night was good. Riding tomorrow will be better--it's raining a bit here. Riding up North trails on Sunday--will hopefully drive the grade nail home for my son--I just know it will eat him up!!!