Sign in to follow this  

Damn Fuel Screw!!!

Hi TT'ers,

Despite my inexperience and general lack of mechanical aptitude, I have recently installed a new header and the JD kit on my 05 DRZ400E.

Surprisingly, all went well except that I just couldn't rotate the carb enough to get access to the fuel screw! So i left it where it was (at least I think I did - I pocked a few things in there trying to get at it).

I won't have the chance to get a real ride until the weekend, but a quick run around the block demonstrated that the bike still runs and has plenty of power however the idle is now rough and even when warm, stalls when the throttle is cracked off idle.

Can this be related to the mixture? Can anyone tell me a simple way of adjusting the fuel screw? You guys all seem to do it fine when the motor is running!

Also, is that FMS02 thingy that has been mentioned a replacement for this screw? If so, my check's in the mail.

Thanks All,

mal

If the engine is warm when you crack(stalling) the throttle open, it is because the fuel mixture is lean off the bottom. You would have to turn the fuel screw out to richen the mixture. But before you do that you should count the turns out that the fuel screw is set at and record that setting. Try going out about 1/2 turn, if the throttle response better then try a 1/4 turn more. If you go out more then 2-1/2 turns out you need a bigger pilot jet. After you get the bottom end of the fuel mixture good you should do a jet test and check the spark plug.

If the engine is warm when you crack(stalling) the throttle open, it is because the fuel mixture is lean off the bottom. You would have to turn the fuel screw out to richen the mixture. But before you do that you should count the turns out that the fuel screw is set at and record that setting. Try going out about 1/2 turn, if the throttle response better then try a 1/4 turn more. If you go out more then 2-1/2 turns out you need a bigger pilot jet. After you get the bottom end of the fuel mixture good you should do a jet test and check the spark plug.

Thanks Man,

I noticed the problem when I installed the new header but it seemed more pronounced after doing the jetting. I gave it a good ride after the header was put on and after about ten minutes the problem had just about dissapeared so hopefully it'll be fine. I'm a newb rider anyway - I don't know why I'm even doing most of these mods but I just can't seem..to...stop...