Sign in to follow this  

dual sport conversion in tennessee

anyone in tn got their dirt bike plated? I've talked to the dmv, the highway patrol, the local sherrif dept, and the local police dept. none of them have a problem with the conversion. the county clerk, where i have to go to get my plates, says that either my title or registration (can't remember which) has to either say it is street legal, or cannot say off road in order to get the plate. Again, can't recall which one. I need a fairly detailed answer, as the county clerk seemed a little unsure about the answer. I seemed to know as much as he did about it. I tried the "farm use only" route, but that is evidently only good for trucks. I am tempted to buy the kit, put it on, then run my streetbike plate on it, but i'd rather be legitimate. Can anyone in tennessee who has done this conversion help me out here? :banghead:

I'll try that. I've got a friend who works with the county clerk who may be able to pull some strings and help me if nothing else works. Thanks.

Did you ever get your bike registered? I'm thinking about dual sporting an e model drz 400, and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to do in Tennessee.

you can buy a scrapped frame with a title and get it street reg. I bought one for my old 200 but never installed the head light and brake switch to go get a tag.

I know you can in TN. I have some friends that have done it. It is easiest to use a Baja Designs kit, but they are $$... The hardest part is getting the brake light rigged up. Most use a rubber horn, mirrors, no signals, vapor compute and speedo. Good luck!

I'm trying to tag a DTF-200 that already has headlight, tail light, brake light, etc. on it, but since MSO says "off highway use only" the clerk's office is saying there is NO WAY to register it for street use. Anybody have any luck with this in Tennessee, especially in Knox County?

Has anyone been able to get plate/tags in TN for off road bike? The lady at the DVM central office in Nashville said, "If the MSO says off road then you will never be able to get it registered for street use in TN". Straight up no way. But it seems like some people are able to do it after jumper though certain hoops and submitting documents. Just need the low down and, if its possible, the actual steps involved.

Thanks!