Sign in to follow this  

Honda tree ornaments - the hot item this holiday season

wow man, good to hear you okay and your bike is in pretty good shape too, and great pics:thumbsup:

That would be a great Crash and Burn photo. What ever happend to that mag.

Glad to hear your ok. The story will only get better as the years go by.

hung with care.jpg

OK, here's the story behind this one. This was on the last day of a three day trip to the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. Another rider and I were cruising along on a nice green trail that twisted back & forth and up & down. I guess I got a little too speedy through one section when I ran into big trouble. I caught my right handguard on a tree root that was sticking out of the inside of a slightly uphill right hand turn. The bike sort of bucked back & forth and I lost control. As the bike started to get away from me, my hand kept twisting the throttle (d'oh!) and the bike launched off the side of the hill throwing me the same direction (although not quite as far). I got lucky and landed in a soft area that was left from an overturned tree when the roots pulled up out of the ground. It was an amazingly soft landing. Thankfully, the bike got caught by that same overturned tree. It ended up wedged between it and a smaller upright tree about 15 feet down off the trail. I can't believe how lucky I was on that one. If that tree hadn't caught the bike, who knows how far it might have tumbled down the hill. The hillside where this occurred was pretty steep, so the other guy went on to get two other riders that we were meeting us the next trail intersection. It was going to take more than two of us the get the bike back up on the trail. After quite a bit of effort, we got it back on the trail. Luckily, the bike sustained very little damage. I rode it the rest of the day.

Some more pics...

pointing at bike.jpg

This is the tree root I hit.. It's on the far right of the above pic (out of frame). The trail was cut into the side of the mountain, which placed this right at handlebar level.

the cause.jpg

She looks so peaceful...

tree ornament.jpg

resting peacefully.jpg

resting peacefully2.jpg

not bad overall.jpg

This last pic gives a good overall perspective.. The arrow on the left points to the area where the exposed tree root was. The arrow on the right shows how far down the bike is and gives an idea of how steep the hillside is. It took four-five people to drag the bike back up to the trail since traction on the hillside was so limited. To the right of where I'm standing is where I landed (next to the big root ball from that downed tree).

way down there2.JPG

that looks like the hill where i flipped my gokart down and got stuck up a tree

Great Pix! Good to see you both survived?

Do you remember what trail number that was? HM's a KILLER place.

I'm guessing the weather ended up being good this weekend?

We started to go down to Georgia (Durhamtown Plantation), but the rain stopped that - Georgia Clay SUCKS when it's wet.

We considered HM, but figured the rains were headed that way next, so we ended up at Little Sahara, OK instead.

Man I LOVE the sand!!!

We were riding from the Bear Wallow trailhead, which is the Dinguss-Rum trail system. This happened on trail #10 where it parallels trail #82.

Weather was near perfect the whole time. The days we rode were 10/1-3.

-Mike

It's funny that switchingearz mentioned riding it back up. One guy's initial assessment upon arrival was it might be easier to go down the hillside to a trail below than drag it back up. I took one look down and said "no way!" :lol: I have not idea how far down it was, but I couldn't even see the other trail through the trees. It must have been at least 100' or more. Plus, it appeared to be just as steep the whole way down.

-Mike

I went off a trail one time around the Wagonwheel area in WV and decided to "Just go down the mountain to the next trail". Let me tell you that was a mistake. :banghead::banghead:

I got about halfway down to the next trail, (which I could see the outline of in the distance so I knew it was there) and came up on a humongous overhanging cliff. It was litterally 50 ft straight down. I could not go around because of fallen trees on each side so I had to go back up this 500ft or so of mountain that I just descended. It was well into fall and the leaves were about 8" - 12" deep and after 30 very rough minutes later I made it back up to the top.

The worst part of it was the newbies that was following me, did not stop when I started down it and they were on ATVs. After multiple flip's, tree climbing attempts, and other aeronautical maneuvers they finally made it back up to the top in 2.5 - 3 hrs..

Funny thing is this happened about 4 yrs ago and they have not been back with me to WV, even though I have asked them multiple times......

We were riding from the Bear Wallow trailhead, which is the Dinguss-Rum trail system. This happened on trail #10 where it parallels trail #82.

Weather was near perfect the whole time. The days we rode were 10/1-3.

-Mike

That's a GREAT area.

I really enjoy the Bear Wallow section of HM. The Trail 10 to 16 to 14(?) loop is killer. 26 miles of fun! Been a couple years since I've been to that part, though. (bummer)

450TrailRider, that was quite an ordeal you had in WV! Yeah, I think we made the right decision to drag that bike 15 feet uphill as opposed to 100' + downhill. There was no telling what was down there. :banghead:

-Mike

Amazingly, almost no real damage from this incident.

<snip>

Upon closer inspection after washing the bike, I discovered that my right handguard triple clamp mount is bent and it looks like the bolt for my right lower handlebar mount is also bent. However, I think this damage is from the day before when the front end washed out on slippery smooth rock. It went down hard on the right handguard.

-Mike

Dangit! I knew we were missing all the action by riding up front! I didn't hear about any washout on slippery rock? You need to wreck when we're looking! :banghead:

It was all good though, since he was OK, but dragging the bike up (more than 15 feet, that's for sure) with 5 guys still wasn't fun.

Funniest coincedence was that we (me and drzvfr) ran across the only other people out there while on the singletrack, and both us and the other guys said that we hadn't crossed paths with anyone on a singletrack before. Then, when we were assessing mikersoft's little prediciment, those guys showed up, minus their last guy. After they waited a while, turns out a couple miles back on that same green trail, one of their guys went off the trail too! After the 250X was up and running, we went to help them out, but they had it mopped up by then.

Man, riding sure is adventurous. :banghead:

Mike

XR400L

That's a GREAT area.

I really enjoy the Bear Wallow section of HM. The Trail 10 to 16 to 14(?) loop is killer. 26 miles of fun! Been a couple years since I've been to that part, though. (bummer)

Yes it is a GREAT area! While Mike was playing Superman with his CRF, another rider and I were riding single track trail #183. I love riding the single tracks at HM, you never see anyone else! :banghead:

Yes it is a GREAT area! While Mike was playing Superman with his CRF, another rider and I were riding single track trail #183. I love riding the single tracks at HM, you never see anyone else! :banghead:

It's not like other trails were packed. How many other groups did we encounter the entire three days? Maybe 4? That awesome! :banghead: I heard the TrailFest event (held the following weekend) is quite the opposite - ATVs everywhere.

-Mike

Dangit! I knew we were missing all the action by riding up front! I didn't hear about any washout on slippery rock? You need to wreck when we're looking! :banghead:

It's hard to wreck in front of you when we were playing catch-up to you and Glenn the whole time! :banghead:

That washout happened just before Julian took that swim in the big mud puddle (same turn). I think that was day 2.

-Mike

Can't believe the radiators survived all that.You are a lucky man brotha