Chain/sprocket wear XR650R

I have about 60 mostly off road hours on my XR650R now.

My rear sprocket is now showing signs of wear, but the chain seems to be in pretty good shape still. In fact, I have only once readjusted tension since new, it has stretched very little.

Can I just change the sprocket, or should I get a new chain also?

How much use do you guys get out of your chains?

Another related question:

What's wrong with master links? Seems like you shouldn't use them on an XR650R?

I have two sets of wheels and would like to use the bike on the street a bit more. I put Avon Distanzias on one set of wheels and they stick like glue on the pavement. I would like to use a smaller sprocket for street use, and go up two teeth from stock in the dirt. Obviously there isn't enough adjustment to compensate for that, hence my thought to use two master links to take a few links out for the street. Bad idea?

4Takt

I was concerned and posted here too about some initial rear sprocket wear. My advice is to buy one of those guides to see that you have the rear wheel mounted straight. Despite those little markings showing dead on I was a little off. Really not too much more wear at the 500 mile point.

What kind of sprocket is on the rear of that bike? Aluminum is for beer cans. Get a nice Moose, Ironman etc. steel sprocket and you'll be fine. Most fronts are case hardened steel. If it's the stock chain, keep it. I'm sorry I took mine off too soon. Never had to adjust tension either.

What kind of sprocket is on the rear of that bike? Aluminum is for beer cans. Get a nice Moose, Ironman etc. steel sprocket and you'll be fine. Most fronts are case hardened steel. If it's the stock chain, keep it. I'm sorry I took mine off too soon. Never had to adjust tension either.

It's the stock sprocket.

So you think it's fine to change the sprocket and keep the chain?

Any opinions on using master links?

4Takt

60 hours doesn't sound like alot for even stock sprocket. make sure its is aligned correctly! to answer your question.

If it was me I would buy a cheaper steel rear sprocket and call it good. Use the old chain if it is still good and then just buy the pricyer sprocket when you do buy a new chain! Why spend it before you have to.

For me reliability isn't an issue and if something were to happen I can get those to get me back. But I've never had a reliability issue with a sprocket or chain.