Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm Bolt Removed!

Phew it's finally out, it took a hell of a lot of bashing, & finally after applying some heat to the rear of the engine case it finally moved, an inch at 1st, had to work it back n forth & bit & keep spraying teflon lube at it, beat it through with a length of solid brass bar, thus saving the bolt!

Sanded the rust off the bolt & greased it up it slid back in real nice, the only real problem i encountered was missing twice with the hammer, once on the back of my hand & once a direct hit on my thumb! :banghead:

Hopefully in a week the pain will subside!

Take it easy people! :banghead:

I got an '04 XR400 with about 1K miles on it. Should I lube the swingarm bolt now to prevent what geoxr had to go through? I heard a few nightmare stories here and there on TT about the bolts being impossible to remove. Is this a problem specific to XR's?; terrain where the bike is ridden?, or a problem with older bikes?

I did mine last week 2 hour's of pounding it out done now........I was there and did my lower link aswell. I been needing swingarm bearing's for along time. And i was sure i woulden't be rideing for a few week's sittin in the garage in part's. No one want's to remove that bolt when ya can't remember the last time haha..... Bet i will now... But the good outlook is done. And my rear shock i sent to xr's only.I hear they know there stuff .I have had good service with them. a littly spendy but so is a swingarm bolt for $35.00!!!!!! Well glad it wasen't to bad. My buddy's xr we had to take turn's with a hacksaw blade so im glad the bolt it hollow. happy rideing

97 xr400 trail set up

05 drz 125l wife

02 cr80 son

Well from now on i'm gonna lube mine at least every 6 months, i doubt if the bolt had ever been lubed since it left the factory!

It was true what i've read on here though, & that is to apply heat to the rear of the engine case where the bolt passes through, without heat the bolt would not move at all, it was only after i'd warmed it up with a propane torch for 5 minutes that it started to move (very slowly), once it starts moving, just spray wd40 or similar in the gaps & beat it like crazy!

One thing i will invest in next time is possibly a boxing glove for my left hand to hold the punch/drift, to avoid hammer/hand contact! :banghead:

I recently removed a swingarm bolt from a xr250. It was a mission as it was totaly siezed up. I started off with a smaller hammer and soft drift but the bolt just laughed at me. I finaly shifted the thing with the biggest hammer that I own and belting directly onto the thread.The thread was a bit munted of course but cleaned up ok.

To prevent this happening again and to prevent having to do the swingarm bearings again, I fitted two grease nipples to the top of the swing arm pivot points.

I would recommend anyone with an xr250 or xr400 to do this.

Make sure the nipple is directly between the bearings as one sits in more than the other.

I used 45 degree nipples but 90,s will do the job just as well. Position them facing back. If you use a flexible hose on your grease gun its a brezze to pump them up.

I have since done the same to my xr400 with equal success.

My advice is to do this job before the bearings need replacing. If you have any sideways play at all in your swing arm pivots, then the bearings are already shot.

Good luck.