Sign in to follow this  

Weeping Crankcase cover

Hello all,

I had a dealer install a kicker kit on my 2002 400S. When I got it home I noticed that it was leaking some coolant from the crankcase cover that he had to remove for the installation. I called him to get the torque spec's for checking the bolts and if that doesn't work I'm going to take it back to him. 1) Could the coolant be leaking into any areas that it isn't suppost to? 2) Is just tightening the bolts the proper fix or should he go back in and make sure everything is right?

It's funny to me that I trust you guys, who I've never met, more than this mechanic, but you haven't steered me wrong and have always been helpful. Thanks in advance and btw the kicker is incredible piece of mind and isn't as difficult to kick as I thought it was going to be.

Brendon

Oh, I'll have to plead ignorance. I didn't know it had such a hole. I'll have to check. It was getting dark at the time. If your looking at the water pump it was coming from about 10 o'clock, but I couldn't tell beyond that. Where is the weep hole? Thanks Burned

OK, I was finally able to look at it last night. I tightened up all of the bolts on the crankcase to 10 ft/lbs, per the mechanic and snugged up the hose screw. When I started it, at first it seemed good, then as it warmed up it started to drip from the gasket at the bottom of the water pump.

The mechanic told me if it did, to just bring it in and he would but something on it to seal it. I'm wondering if he needs to open up the crankcase and have a look at things. What do you think?

Burned had mentioned a crankcase weep hole. Where is it? I found a hole that was hidden by the rear brake if you were looking from the side. It looked like the mechanic had left off a bolt, but I guess it could be the weep hole. There wasn't any fluid coming from it.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Burned for the quick reply. I've read that there has been issue in the past with leaky water pumps and that it can be fixed pretty easily. Take it apart and then put epoxy or something at a specific joint. Am I right to think that the dealer replacement parts didn't really solve the problem or has that changed?

I'm wondering if it has been this way for a long time and I just haven't noticed it before. :banghead:

Great, thanks for the link. I guess I know what I'm doing on Saturday! Got to get it finished and enjoy the warm days! You guys are the best.