Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Riders I Need Your Help! Honda Rider Converted to Yamaha

So coming from a P.O.S 2004 Honda CRF250R 🤣 and having a short spurt of wanting a 2 -stroke again (shivvers) for some 🤣🤣:busted: reason.

But now seeing the light have decided Yamaha is reliable,good build quality and thus Yamaha is the future :busted:

Either way I am looking to purchase a used 2004 model...

I obviously want to buy a good one which isn't going to have any major problems i.e engine grenading and costing £££ in repair.

So, What things should I look for? What questios do I ask? Is there any way to tell a good or bad one? I mean I like a good looking bike but I'm not a sucker since i am a motorcycle technician and since I've been a memeber of TT it's taught me things I would never even dream of. So what's the deal?

What kind of service intervals? I know the engines are good for years with good maintaince. I'm used to changing oil & oil filters :busted: since I used to own a you know what :banghead: . Valves inspections, what kind of intervals are you doing these at? I know these things aren't requiring valves etc, but what about pistons? obviously all these intervals are measured in hours.

Thanks again

Thanks Regards (I'm so excited I'm getting a Yamaha :banghead: )

Honda0001

hey I am in the same boat as you.. I have gone from a suzuki smoker to yamaha :banghead:.. I have just purchased a 2005 yz250f which will be here in 3 or 4 days now.. I am not to shore on the maintance side at the moment but thank god that you have been converted haha.

My '01 went almost 400 hours on it's first set of valves and rings, and the piston is still in there. The bore was perfect.

The oil should be changed every ten hours or less, and a conscientious owner will change or clean the filter at that same time. Otherwise, the air filter should be serviced anywhere from each ride to ten hours, depending on the dust conditions. Ask the current owner what schedule he follows.

The only thing at all like a "weak link" the YZF has ever had is that the higher gears can be worn by by sloppy shifting to the extent that they start popping out of gear. If the shifting seems crisp, and holds in gear under a load, you're probably OK.

I have a crf250r and it has blown up twice now. I'm thinking about getting a yamaha, but my mechanic told me that yamahas cost way more to fix. I checked out some prices online, and a yamaha head is something like $600 I think, and a crf head is only 220 from service honda. But if I had a yamaha in the first place it may not have ever blown up. I'm confused. :banghead: Do yamahas really cost alot more to fix when they grenade?

Yes, but they don't blow up, buy one brand new and maintain it accordingly and it is a very very reliable bike and little maintainance in comparision to your Honda.

Or a used one with history you know. A Yamaha that blows has been seriously abused...

Either way all the Honda guys are having a go at me now for converting to Yamaha, those guys really need to get a life...

So coming from a P.O.S 2004 Honda CRF250R 🤣 and having a short spurt of wanting a 2 -stroke again (shivvers) for some 🤣:busted::busted: reason.

But now seeing the light have decided Yamaha is reliable,good build quality and thus Yamaha is the future 🤣

Either way I am looking to purchase a used 2004 model...

I obviously want to buy a good one which isn't going to have any major problems i.e engine grenading and costing £££ in repair.

So, What things should I look for? What questios do I ask? Is there any way to tell a good or bad one? I mean I like a good looking bike but I'm not a sucker since i am a motorcycle technician and since I've been a memeber of TT it's taught me things I would never even dream of. So what's the deal?

What kind of service intervals? I know the engines are good for years with good maintaince. I'm used to changing oil & oil filters :busted: since I used to own a you know what :banghead: . Valves inspections, what kind of intervals are you doing these at? I know these things aren't requiring valves etc, but what about pistons? obviously all these intervals are measured in hours.

Thanks again

Thanks Regards (I'm so excited I'm getting a Yamaha :busted: )

Honda0001

you are a squid and a dork! i don't care about what someone wants to ride ( and i own both yamahas and Honda's) but you are claiming to be a bike tech and asking these kind of questions :banghead:

and then making this kind of claim,

"Yes, but they don't blow up, buy one brand new and maintain it accordingly and it is a very very reliable bike and little maintenance in comparison to your Honda.

Or a used one with history you know. A Yamaha that blows has been seriously abused...

Either way all the Honda guys are having a go at me now for converting to Yamaha, those guys really need to get a life..."

sounds to me like you converted to stupidity, you don't even own one, so how do you know! let me guess, your about 15 right.

grayracer stated "The oil should be changed every ten hours or less, and a conscientious owner will change or clean the filter at that same time. Otherwise, the air filter should be serviced anywhere from each ride to ten hours, depending on the dust conditions. Ask the current owner what schedule he follows."

that sounds a lot like my schedule on my honda, and i don't have problems nor have i had to spend the kind of money you are claiming to have spent.

don't you yamaha guys come down on me for exposing this guy for what he is, i have nothing against any brand of bike just people who like to bash because they got a "lemon" for crying out loud if you get a bad bike you sell it and get another, not start a bashing campaign.

............for crying out loud if you get a bad bike you sell it and get another, not start a bashing campaign.

Note to self.............

DO NOT buy a used bike from honda250xman! :banghead:

Note to self.............

DO NOT buy a used bike from honda250xman! :banghead:

actually i can give you a guys name that bought a bike from me and he will tell you it was in perfect condition! and i treat my honda the same way. if i had a "lemon" bike, or if my bike starts having abnormal problems, i will make one attempt at a fix (06 head or what not) and if that don't work i with trade it in, not pass it off to some guy responding to a newspaper add.

actually i can give you a guys name that bought a bike from me and he will tell you it was in perfect condition! and i treat my honda the same way. if i had a "lemon" bike, or if my bike starts having abnormal problems, i will make one attempt at a fix (06 head or what not) and if that don't work i with trade it in, not pass it off to some guy responding to a newspaper add.

First of all is an X an R NO, :banghead:

Do you do the same type of riding as me NO 🤣

DITTO, Yeah don't buy a bike after this guy has owned it :banghead:

No I'm 17... not 15 don't try and think you know me.

Yes I am a motorcycle technician.

But…

A. I work for BMW, they are like indestructible/ don't make motocross bikes

B. I don't know everything because I am a motorcycle technician

C. I didn't say I know anything about Yamaha's I wanted to know how to spot a bad one or problems with them as owners of them would know.

D. It's a commonly know fact the Yamaha is a better bike with a stronger valve train and engine. I wanted to know about any other defaults that aren't commonly know or are very rare.

E. The Yamaha riders are great they all seem to stick together and stick up for each other, unlike you Honda guys who are all just in denial all the time.

F. I need to know I'm getting a good one since it will be expensive to repair IF it is wrong. I'd say 95% of them are good, and only a small 5% of them are bad, but if you rebuilt the bad one and then maintained it properly then it would be perfect. As with a Honda I could rebuild it and still have problems, yes it would be cheaper for the Honda, but the Yamaha would still be more reliable, so what I'm saying is I want to buy a good one that has been maintained well, I then maintain it well also and I will have no problems. even a brand new Honda maintained well can have problems as with the Yamaha a brand new one maintained well from the word go will be a great reliable bike as the Honda could or could not be. Either way with top end work more frequently on the Honda it will still be more expensive.

you are a squid and a dork! ...

sounds to me like you converted to stupidity, you don't even own one, so how do you know! let me guess, your about 15 right.

From this, we are to suppose that you are an enlightened, informed individual?

Come back when you get 300 hours on your X, we'll talk.

From this, we are to suppose that you are an enlightened, informed individual?

Come back when you get 300 hours on your X, we'll talk.

You got it!

300 hours and we'll see how reliable that motor is or how much work it's required

Thanks for backing me up grayracer513 and for your advice :banghead:

Regards

Honda0001

thankx fella's, it was getting a little too "kind and loving" around here.

I do enjoy a good sparring match.

Hondadude, were it not for Honda's, my tuner wouldn't be able to pay for his brand new shop. He likes Honda's a lot! :banghead::banghead:

He,however, rides a yamaha so as not to spend his time working on his bike!🤣

I like a lot about them too. They are fun, fast, and turn well. I'm just glad I don't have to maintain one. Maybe the new 06 valve seats will stop the bleeding.

it is this simple. i have sold three bikes in my life, none complained, why? i maintain my bikes.

this is not a dispute about the brand of the bike, like i said, i own 3 yamahas and 2 hondas.

what it is about is this guy saying something like this,

"Hey I've had my CRF now from april 2005, I've mainitained it perfectly, no valve issues, 60 hours pretty hard use on the bike with only an OEM piston and one-reshim? I call my CRF reliable...

The maintainance schdule is more but well worth it.

So I don't need any lecture about valves etc...

All I want is my bike to look nice, I love my bikes in stock form, I want them to look new like they rolled from the factory and all I get is people like you saying like this?"

he said that 12 days ago (9/29) and is now going off on a bike bashing mission! you did 1 reshim, you got 60 hours out of a piston that honda plainly stated in the manual would only go 15 hours. what is wrong with people! if the dang bike is not what you expected or whatever, sale it and get a different one. you don't need to start bashing, it pisses people off! you brought this on yourself.

and i got news for ya, you just turned 17 and it shows

I'm 39 and know from experience that at 17 you don't know CRAP

SQUID

don't you yamaha guys come down on me for exposing this guy for what he is, i have nothing against any brand of bike just people who like to bash because they got a "lemon" for crying out loud if you get a bad bike you sell it and get another, not start a bashing campaign.

Its a proven fact there are no "lemon" CRF250's. They just have a poorly designed motor that is destined from the start to blow up, and a lot faster than a YZF at that.

and i got news for ya, you just turned 17 and it shows

I'm 39 and know from experience that at 17 you don't know CRAP

SQUID

I like you man, you can hang out in my shaded pits anyday.

:banghead::banghead:

I like intense people and you seem to be intense. You'd fit right in in my camp.🤣

Its a proven fact there are no "lemon" CRF250's. They just have a poorly designed motor that is destined from the start to blow up, and a lot faster than a YZF at that.

i'm not even going to try and defend honda. i was just trying to say that when someone 12 days ago says there bike is worth the extra maintenance and really did not put a bunch of money into finding a fix and then comes over to this forum talking like he did, thats crap!

if it were me and i wanted to switch i would say the bike was not what i was expecting i would like to try the yamaha, change the forum i'm posting in and thats it. meet new people and ride not start bashing. it seems like you cant go to any forum these days without somebody doing this. then when i call a spade a spade i get jumped on. anyway....enjoy your ride, what ever color it may be!