Sign in to follow this  

how hard is it to install new sprockets?

i want to go 14/47 on my '05 S. i think i am going to order Renthals from TT.

how difficult is it to put them on? it just snowed a couple inches in Laramie and i'm wondering how long i should expect to freeze my ass off.

6 allen bolts on the rear, when i changed my rear i used new bolts for good practise, burned/bronco would approve i am sure :banghead: and the castle type nut for the front, just be sure to use the right torque a drop of blue/red locking thread i use blue others will say red a personal choice and bend the washer over. taking your time it will be a 30 min job with a huge difference in the bikes performance :banghead:

Give yourself an hour and a half, and you will need an extra set of hands when putting the back wheel back on because of the disc brakes. Good luck. Make sure you got a 30mm socket before you start, most people don't have them, like me until I attempted to change the front sprocket. Good luck, and enjoy the snow riding. :banghead:

one tip:

loosen the nuts on the rear sproket before you try to loosed the allen head bolts.

Level of difficulty is not much beyond doing your own oil change.

Just make sure you have some red Loctite for the front sprocket splines and threads, and a torque wrench to torque all the nuts to spec.