Sign in to follow this  

old gas

could old gas make my engine knock. :banghead:

yes, the octane-raising agents in fuel are highly volatile and will dissipate quickly, reducing the effective octane rating. High temps exacerbate the problem. It can be reduced by storing it in a cool, dark place in steel containers.

yes, the octane-raising agents in fuel are highly volatile and will dissipate quickly, reducing the effective octane rating. High temps exacerbate the problem. It can be reduced by storing it in a cool, dark place in steel containers.

How quickly does the octane start dropping? Will Stabil help?

It depends a lot on the quality of gas that you get in your part of the country and whether they use an oxygenated gas during the winter.Oregon (where I live) supposedly has some of the crappiest gas around and is oxygenated in the winter. The funny thing about"winter" gasoline is while they claim it pollutes less, I also get worse fuel mileage in all of my vehicles. So I burn more gas. And pollute more. Anyway, Sta-Bil will not help old gas. Drain the tank and carb, put in fresh gas and hope that your pilot jet isn't plugged up. Sta-Bil will help keep new gas good for longer, but I wouldn't trust it for more than a few months around here.

cheers my drz is knocking like anything could be bad fuel it was standing long time before i purchased it.