anybody ride in the snow?

i'm new to riding, just got an '05 S this past july. i used to ride quads so i don't really know anything about riding bikes in the winter. it starting to snow here in in wyoming but i'm not ready to put the bike away. anyone out there from this area? how late in the season do you guys ride?

Snow is one thing. Ice is another.

Don't ride on a snowy road. You'll be sorry pretty quick.

Grassy fields, trails, etc. can be fun - especially before the ground freezes hard.

You can learn some pretty cool techniques - many you could use in the mudd. My favorite is the almost no-lean turn. Gass it slightly going into a turn and dirt track like crazy to make the turn. It takes a lot of practice, but is FUN when you get it down.

One problem you'll likely have is packing snow and ice in and around the engine, carb, and everywhere else. The bike can need the choke one minute and be running hot the next (if the rad. gets pluged with snow)

Have fun!!!

If you're hitting the ice, have someone who knows what they're doing stud a set of tires and you're off - a whole new winter sport.

i have the stock deathwinds on my bike and want to get new tires, but now that there is snow on the ground i'm not sure what to do.

should i just have my deathwings studded? would that work? or should i just get a set of nobbies? it seems like studded deathwings would work in the snow, but i don't know. what do you guys think?

Hey, mklang, my bro just came back from WyoTech last christmas.

If you are going to get new tires, I'd recommend waiting till next year. I'd not recommend riding up there when there's snow on the ground. It'd be fun to ride in fields and such, but not the asphalt.

i used to ice race on a frozen lake in the Winter and its a blast.you could go and get some studded tires or buy your own and screw them in to some knobbys.the cheap way is to get some 1/2" sheet metal screws and screw them in but they wear out fast.riding with studs for the most part is like riding on gravel with worn tires.don't ride on the road with stud when the rd is snow covered or bare(its like riding on ice with out studs :banghead: )if you do a lot of trail riding then stud her up you'll have fun :banghead:

Awesome, all I can say Wolf is you are either very talented or crazy, on second thought, maybe both. My only experience of riding in snow is on the road, and it was fun when I was an "indestructible" 17 year old. Now I think I would stay at home (getting old). What type of surface was under the snow ? and are you using studded tyres ? how fast ?

Keep posting these video's, I just love them, & and it is the closest I will get to proper off road round my neck of the woods. As I am in the UK not riding in the snow is not a problem, we only get snow about 4 days a year.

Neil.

:banghead::banghead:?

We just had an early snowstorm last week and the weather returned to normal (fairly warm) this weekend so ...

We hit the trails! (My DRZ not in picture :banghead: )

unload.jpg

It was my first time riding in the snow and only my 5th time riding offroad.

All in all, a total blast! The snow is easy to handle providing it doesn't get to deep or worse, has ice underneath. Fortunetly we encountered very little ice which gives you the total loss of control feeling, actually more than a feeling as you do lose control without studs, but with no ice the traction was good.

A few inches of snow + some good trails = lots-O-fun! :banghead:

Steve

Awesome, all I can say Wolf is you are either very talented or crazy, on second thought, maybe both. My only experience of riding in snow is on the road, and it was fun when I was an "indestructible" 17 year old. Now I think I would stay at home (getting old). What type of surface was under the snow ? and are you using studded tyres ? how fast ?

Keep posting these video's, I just love them, & and it is the closest I will get to proper off road round my neck of the woods. As I am in the UK not riding in the snow is not a problem, we only get snow about 4 days a year.

Neil.

:banghead:??

It was about 20*F with a windchill around -5 that day and though it's hard to tell in the video, it was in the middle of a snow storm. I had 2hrs of footage and that video was all that was usable. The rest was just and iced over lens. this was an ORV trail with 8 inches of fresh snow on top of a 16in base. before the day was over there was another 8 in of accumulation. average speed for the day was 45mph some times jumping up to nearly 80mph (The pass on the WR was at over 70). we were all running regular knobbie with gold screws. I cant wait for the snow to fly again....that was my first time in it (florida transplant to michigan)and man, what a hoot. :banghead:?