Sign in to follow this  

99' ttr 225 won't start

I bought this bike from a guy who accidentally hooked up the jumper cables backwards and fried it,i tried a different cdi box but i'm still not getting any fire.Any ideas on where to look next?

I'm scared to even price a stator.Are there fuses on this bike?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm scared to even price a stator.Are there fuses on this bike?

Thanks for the replies.

The stator is the piece inside the left side case that the flyhweel creates and electric charge with...I think I'm saying that right. 180 bucks for a stator from yamaha.This is just a suggestion btw. I'm not %100 sure that the stator is bad. Tell me something.. Are you getting any spark?Also I forgot all about checking the fuses :banghead: . Check those before you do anything. Although I'm not %100 sure they have fuses now :banghead:

I'm having the same problem, so far I have checked the coil by trying it on another bike. it works. I am getting correct ohm readings from the stator. However I am not getting anything from the coil pulser, so I am going to replace that first, if that is not it, then replace the cdi. I figure it has to be one of them. Be sure to double check all your connections. that they are clean, etc. One dirty connector has been known to cause owners to spend a lot of money needlessly replacing high ticket items.

Well that elimanted it to a bad connection,bad coil, or bad stator.

I fixed it!...

The fuses were gone and somebody had just slipped them together like the bullet connectors on the bike but they had the kill switch wire going to ground..so it's fixed!

Thanks a bunch for the help guys!!

today as i was opening the left side of the crankcase on my 99' ttr225 some oil spilled out a little as i was loosening the bolts. is this bad, i didnt open it all the way. i thought it was part of the oil crankcase 👍 . now im figuring out thats not right. if theres oil in there with the stator, is the stator ruined? also how is there oil in there?

today as i was opening the left side of the crankcase on my 99' ttr225 some oil spilled out a little as i was loosening the bolts. is this bad, i didnt open it all the way. i thought it was part of the oil crankcase :bonk: . now im figuring out thats not right. if theres oil in there with the stator, is the stator ruined? also how is there oil in there?

Ive heard that this is normal 👍 I myslef also have some oil in the left case dont know if its bad tho

today as i was opening the left side of the crankcase on my 99' ttr225 some oil spilled out a little as i was loosening the bolts. is this bad, i didnt open it all the way. i thought it was part of the oil crankcase :bonk: . now im figuring out thats not right. if theres oil in there with the stator, is the stator ruined? also how is there oil in there?

You should be fine 👍 I always have some oil there.