Sign in to follow this  

lowering and it's affects

I posted a thread like this over on the dr650bbs, and since it's not getting much in the way of response, i figured what better place to put it than us tinkerers over here.

I'm curious as to what affects lowering the 650 has on most parameters of this bike. I'm thinking of dropping mine down to the lowered stance to accomplish a few things,

first being a higher top speed. I figure with less bike and myself included being up in the air, i may be able to get an extra mph or two up top. And along the lines of aerodynamics, if it is more efficient, it should get a little better fuel consumption as well.

One of the things i don't like about lowering the bike is that while doing hard street riding and i want to up shift while in a corner, me feet have grabbed tarmac pretty bad a couple of times which made me bring it up(suspension height) as high as possible. I could move the shifter up a notch but this makes it too high(plans are to find a shorter shifter that reduces the looong throw the dr has and then move it up a little further).

Ground clearance will obviously be sacrificed when dropping it down. As it is, even after getting my knobby tires on, i still mostly just commute rather than getting to do the offroad scene. Also, future plans are to motard this little bugger and use it almost exclusively in the streets. But, i don't want to be dragging pegs which i cn see happening with the right set of tires, with my tires now(maxxis 6006), i've been reported to be very close to cracking the pegs along the deck.

While at my buddies house Saturday night, i just pushed his bike to move it out of the way and his felt so much lighter than mine yet he has the ims big tank, dual star centerstand, fmf q, mt21's, rack on the back with chase harper soft luggage including a top pack as well. So his bike definitely out weighs mine, i'm assuming it's the lowered suspension that makes his feel that much lighter.

Any thoughts...?

ask him where he ordered his rack from lol

But i was wondering the same thing, Mine is in the process of complete motardation, and i was wondering if it would be safe to get a new spring and lower it.

No need for a new spring, unless you want a heavier one. there is two mounting positions in the bottom of the shock.

I did it and it seems to be less stressed at highway speeds now. It feels very weird being so low to the ground though. I think i'm going to do springs next as the stock ones are sagging pretty good after eight or so years. I'll have to take it to the local hot spot and see how she shreds the tarmac.

i took the cheap easy way on the front by just raising the tubes in the clamps, got it somewhere around the right height.

I highly recommend getting new springs all the way around the stock springs are way to light, and as far as dragging the pegs thats the stock spring it is to soft I think its a 6.5 and thats to light for 150 lb rider unless your straight up scenic riding. I have .46 racetech strait rate fronts and 7.6 rear.

I highly recommend getting new springs all the way around the stock springs are way to light, and as far as dragging the pegs thats the stock spring it is to soft I think its a 6.5 and thats to light for 150 lb rider unless your straight up scenic riding. I have .46 racetech strait rate fronts and 7.6 rear.

How much do you weigh? I'm around 230 and don't want to get one thats

too hard / too much rebound.

Yeah...I'm around 230 as well and am watching this close for my future spring upgrade :banghead:

I weigh 165 call Norm@ Kouba link or Jesse they will set your spring rate up for you. search, there is a lot of info on the springs and suspension.

can you link me to a website to purchase springs?

the stock one has wayyyyy to much cush compared to what i like

Im running my 04 in the lowered position and like it better for street riding. For the front forks Ive added 1/4" spacers for a little more preload. Im also using Mercon V ATF fluid for fork oil. I just raised the forks in the tripple clamps 1 1/2" rather than flip the spacers as I want to be able to change the ride height quickly when I want too. As it is now with my lift I can raise or lower the bike in 15-20 min including the side stand change. I like the way it handles for street riding in the lowered position. Ive not noticed any problems at all with it setup like this. Its still higher that most street bikes and there is no problem with dragging hard parts. Im 5'11" and find that its nice to easily throw a leg over and have feet flatter and firmly planted at stops. My bike is stable at all speeds.

can you link me to a website to purchase springs?

the stock one has wayyyyy to much cush compared to what i like

Kientech Engineering give Jesse a call, these are the best people to deal with, they are old school honest and great to do business with, you will talk to him or his wife, shipping is fast.

awesome, thanks man, i was wondering where to get stuff, searches on google dont ever bring up anythign