Sign in to follow this  

XR250 "kicking back" on kick start?

I was out at the desert for the first time this weekend with my '96 XR250R and experienced a strange problem. First, when the bike was hot, it was a huge pain trying to get it started. However, that is not the problem. The problem is that every few kicks, the kick starter would "kick back". There was a strong force pushing the kick starter back up at me. What does this problem suggest? I would appreciate any comments/theories. Thanks!!

You didn't say if you're giving it any throttle. If you are, give it less. Or none at all. And don't twist the throttle when kicking. If you aren't giving it throttle, try the "clear flood" procedure: WOT, hold kill switch, hold decompression lever, and kick about 15 times. They try to start it with no throttle. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

I have not messed with any of the items you mentioned, and I don't believe the previous owner did either. However, it does have a 280 kit if that makes a difference. Also, I want to make sure I understand the procedure for a hot start. Tell me if this is correct:

1. Pull the manual decomp lever and kick it through three or four times.

2. Release the decomp lever after bring it to TDC

3. Kick it hard with no throttle and no decomp lever.

Is this correct?

You'll also sometimes experience kick back if you try starting your kick from anywhere besides that "just past TDC point".

How can I be sure that I am just past TDC? I just want to make sure what I am doing is correct? It there an easy way to determine if the bike is at TDC? As always...thanks for the help!

Mar is a genious. What if you get a little bit of a grinding sound when you kick it every once in awhile. Does that mean that something is worn out. ccccccrrrrr :banghead: I really dont like the sound but it really bothers me.

a fren broke his kickstarter last sat on a ride,

dont noe if we shld be gentle wif it or not,

:banghead:

a fren broke his kickstarter last sat on a ride,

dont noe if we shld be gentle wif it or not,

:banghead:

be gentle with the English language, please! :banghead: