Sign in to follow this  

Does Street riding impair your Dirt Riding?

I bought a new street bike about 2 weeks ago (Suzuki SV 650) and have been riding it ever since :banghead: . I put about 500 miles on the street bike and haven't ridden the dirt bike in about 3 weeks. Today I finally got to do some trail riding on the dirt bike and holy moses I was awful :banghead: !! The bike felt soo strange and I couldn't turn it for crap !! Every rock looked 5 times as big as it actually was and I was plain ole scared. It took me 3+ hours to feel comfortable on the bike and even then I was still riding very poorly. It felt like all of my street riding took away my feel for a dirt bike. I just hope my feel for a dirt bike eventually comes back, sheesh !! Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do you get over it?

I rode streetbikes for about 5 years, every Sunday, and a couple of days back and forth to work. When I started riding in the dirt in May, it was hard to not hang off the bike in corners. On a street bike, you hang off into the turn to lessen the motocycles lean angle. In the dirt, well you know the rest. It makes it difficult at first, but you get use to it.

I bought a new street bike about 2 weeks ago (Suzuki SV 650) and have been riding it ever since :banghead: . I put about 500 miles on the street bike and haven't ridden the dirt bike in about 3 weeks. Today I finally got to do some trail riding on the dirt bike and holy moses I was awful :banghead: !! The bike felt soo strange and I couldn't turn it for crap !! Every rock looked 5 times as big as it actually was and I was plain ole scared. It took me 3+ hours to feel comfortable on the bike and even then I was still riding very poorly. It felt like all of my street riding took away my feel for a dirt bike. I just hope my feel for a dirt bike eventually comes back, sheesh !! Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do you get over it?

Nope. Just twist the throttle and go. 🤣

I don't know about that, but I can tell you that dirt riding has definitely saved my butt on the street!

I rode off road for many years before riding on the street, like the post above it has saved my bacon many times. The biggest thing I had to learn going to the street is too look further ahead! Eye placement is the most criticle part of street riding and hardly even considered in off orad.

Too much street riding kills your conditioning, makes you lazy and sit down too much. I set up my 525exc as a street motard in the hot summer months when I dont enjoy riding mx or woods. I can really tell I've been away for a while when I come back to the dirt.

60% less traction on the street i would guess. Maybe if you rode a 2 stroke streetbike you wouldn't loos any skills on the dirt side.

I will say that my dirt riding is a huge benefit on the street bike. It seems like my dirt riding skills translate very well to the street, but the street riding doesn't translate well to the dirt. I guess it's a good thing that it's getting to cold to ride on the street here in PA, so I'll have plenty of time to commit to the trails until winter sets in.