Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F Hard to Start

My wife has a 05 CRF150F that has maybe 5 hrs run time on it. The motor is very cold natured, it takes a while to warm up. After it warms, it runs great. However, the bike is hard to start, warm or cold. If it stalls or dumps over, it takes far more kicks to start than it should. I can tell when it floods and two kicks w/ throttle full open clears it out and it starts.

The deal is, its a chic bike and nothing is more frustrating to her than to kick the crap out of it, then I have to kick it cause it won't start. Then, it takes a number if kicks at the right throttle setting and FINALLY, it goes.

If there are recommendations, please send them.

Thanks

take the seat off...pull the snorkel thing out of the top of the airbox, pull the baffle out of the exhaust and rejet...should help alot, it'll get easier once the bike is more broken in too

Go to the CRF150 forum and look up "power up kit". The name is misleading, because the bike comes lean from the dealer. So the kit is just more correct jetting. You should be able to find all the part numbers and tons of info on it.

My wife has a 03 CRF150 and I have the same problem. I have to start it for her when it's cold, but once it's warm it fires up great. Despite all of this I still think it's the best bike out there for a wife.

Yes, great little bike that 150. My niece rides one.

Honda needs to follow Yamahas lead, by fitting the smaller (kids, teens, girlfriend) bikes with e-start.

That should increase the # of 150's they sell.

There is nothing more frustrating to a learning rider (wife, girlfriend) than a bike that is difficult to start.

A bike like that might turn a lady off to riding all together.

Yes, great little bike that 150. My niece rides one.

Honda needs to follow Yamahas lead, by fitting the smaller (kids, teens, girlfriend) bikes with e-start.

That should increase the # of 150's they sell.

There is nothing more frustrating to a learning rider (wife, girlfriend) than a bike that is difficult to start.

A bike like that might turn a lady off to riding all together.

the 06's have smaller displacment...heavier...BUT..they have the magic button....i think they have a shorter stroke too

Great piece of information regarding '06s. I did not realize they changed the engine.

The bore, stroke and displacement are as follows:

'05 63.5mm x 49.5mm 156.8cc

'06 57.3mm x 57.8mm 149.0cc

It is roughly a 5% reduction in displacement.

All you engine experts, will the '06 have more torque since in has a longer stroke? That would be nice for trails.

im havin the same problem.. i bought my gf an 05 150f and it takes forever to start. after i get it running it doesnt want to idle. i took the baffle out and never touched the carb. what do you guys recommend? she doesnt even want to go riding because of it