Sign in to follow this  

Deaths in Motocross

Man seems like Ive heard about alot of deaths related to motocross lately. I just called my cuz to ask him how he did in spokane last week and he said his freind cased a triple and broke his chest protector and killed him. Thats crazy, kid was like 10 years old. And I heard of many others around here. What about you guys, here of many people that died while motoing. Just kinda scary if you ask me.

There have been a couple of deaths here in the last few months. Very sad, but not wholly unexpected. The bikes are so fast and the tracks so technical. It's really a wonder that we don't see more of this. The irony is many happen on the trail or, as here recently, on the freestyle section.

I am a huge Formula One/Indycar and Sportscar Racing fan. I recall as a boy the carnage surrounding my sport in the early to mid 70's. No matter how bad it seems to get with serious injuries and death it will never compare to the Auto scene 30 years ago.

What shouldn't?? Death or racing?

talking about death in motocross is not something you throw around like. "hey guys, anyone die latley???" thats what should end

talking about death in motocross is not something you throw around like. "hey guys, anyone die latley???" thats what should end
I didn't take his original question like that. I think he wanted to know if it was worse in other areas of the country, maybe the tracks are more technical than should be over there or maybe the people are different. Maybe if there was an issue, he wanted to know what could be changed. :banghead:

Ignoring the fact that injury and death are sometimes a part of our sport won't make them go away. It's a reality we should do well to remember, not bury our heads in the sand about.

It's rough but I don't see why we should not speak about it. There has been a death in Moncton New Brunswick this year on the canadian mx championship of the CMRC. Kind of weird... I had never heard of that before on the CMRC..

Another guy died on the trails in the province of Quebec last week... was the first time I've ever heard it happened here in Quebec also.

I also feel like those accidents are way more frequent than they were...

I remember the time we were attending races asking ourselves: "how is it possible that so few accidents happen?"

It is so sad to see more and more seem to happen.

But you know... as said before, the technical skills required now are so high and the speed has so much increased on the tracks around here.... accidents can't be avoided forever in this context.

Are the guys protected well enough? Should they wear heavier gears? I think it's time to evaluate that.

JSR (Canadian champ) is hell of a rider and I've read recently he is 27th on the AMA mx serie... I can't even imagine the speed Ferry, Carmichael, Stewart, Reed, Windham and the others ride... and the kids are preparing themselves to beat that!🤣 And they will! That is scary. :banghead:

What a sport! :banghead:

Also, dirt biking is as popular as ever, the more people involved the more accidents happen.

I was just wondering if the happen in other places as much as here. We have had 2 deaths in one year wich might not seem like much but with how few people live here and the fewer that race. Its kinda scarey. It makes you think alittle about what were really doing out there.

either way, theres way less deaths an accidents than on motorcycles and dirtbikes are a helluva lot more fun.

I raced at Budds Creek a couple weekends ago, and right before I headed out for practice the announcer gave everyone a reminder to ride with caution and obey the flags. He gave the names of two riders who were killed in practice there before, one being a girl. It really hit me kind of hard and I kept thinking about it all day.

I wonder why a 10 year old is doing a tripple? It is a dangerous sport and it is sad to see anyone get hurt seriously or killed, but we all accept that risk when we get on the bike. I'm 32 with a 4 year old and my own business... doesn't affect my ego at all when I roll the big jumps on the track. I'm to old to try and impress anyone and I can still have a blast keeping it safe. Yeah, I could make that 65 foot double 99 out of 100 but that 1 time is gonna cripple me. No Thanks.

totally legitimate topic.

It's easy to forget how dangerous the sport is. I was nearly killed in 1976 on my brand new rm250. Fluke crash, internal injuries, 6 weeks in the hospital, two major operations. Cost: 40,000.00 in 1976!

I went in the hospital weighing 175 lbs. At one point I was below 120. 8 pints of blood in the first operation, when they removed about 80% of my liver.

I was nearly left for dead on the track, because I was out of view. A few more minutes without treatment......no kidding.

I was 18. When I got home I was too weak to ride my RM, so I bought an RL250 trials bike, then later a GS750. I began racing my RM250 eightmonths after the crash.

I rode alot for the next 4 or five years, then lost interest. About 3 years ago My buddy sold me his XR250 for trail riding, which was soon replaced by a YZF250, and now I have a KTM sxf coming.

Can you say "mid-life crisis"?

I have skied and kayaked all my life, but niether come close to riding for danger.

It's a great sport and actually easy on your body, as long as you stay upright. Going down is rolling the dice: anything can happen.

My advice: NEVER FALL.

As sports get more extreme and faster, the greater the injuries will be. I remember when it was rare for a skier to get killed. Now, I hear it is becoming a regular event.

As I recall, Jim West was the first motocrosser to die in a Pro MX race. Death was almost unheard of in the sport until then. Lately, the numbers have been rising.

There are kids who grow up on dirt bikes. Hitting a double or triple is second nature. The problem comes when less experienced riders try or there is a malfunction or simply an error.

There are a lot of motorcycles capable of jumping 120 feet. Not nearly as many riders who are capable. I would bet the number of riders who are killed jumping outnumbers other types of accidents. Re-designing MX courses to be safer is something that is going to be needed.

a GI who fought at the bulge said:

"at first you are sure it will never be you, no matter what. Then you get educated, if you survive, and you start getting careful. But if you live a little longer you realize that even if you are careful....it comes down to luck or chance on the front line. And luck seldom lasts forever."

Of course that's a combat situation where people are TRYING to kill each other.

This sport is alot more fun and much safer than combat.

This is a bad subject for sure.

Any anouncer that talks about someone who died right before a race should be slapped. There can't be more of a buzzkill before a race than that.

I just crashed doing a big double and broke my collar bone. I could have been killed, but I guess I just got lucky. I'm a new rider and I need to take it easy as I am not that great yet. It is too easy to be having a good day at the track and think you can jump anything. If everyone takes it easy and rides within their abilities there is no reason to worry about all this dying crap.

It's a good subject, because it's happening everywhere.

It blows my mind how people bury there head in the sand about this.The deaths are up because of the damn jumps, how blind can we be. " Take it easy at the track", " ride within your abilities" ? B.S. Then you get landed on.

All the great drivers who died in the 60's-70's YZinger spoke of ? People with the brains to point out that no, it's not a good idea to be able to hit a tree if you went off course were criticized , like some of these posts will be, as somehow "unmanly" , and lectured to ad nauseum with such boring cliches as "we know the risks". Even those who supported seat belts were criticized with the same dull , deer in the headlights intellect that anyone who dares challenge the SX type tracks of today and what they're doing to the sport.

Drivers and riders still get hurt, but in auto racing the deaths are WAY down, because people got smart. Not so in our sport.

Motocross has gained NOTHING from doubles and triples, except the WWF "thrill factor" for the spectators. Hey, if we "know the risks", lets just put in metal spikes and flaming oil pits.

Sure, I'm done with it and am strictly off-road. Sure, someone in stupendous denial will point out people get hurt in off-road,too. I know that riding will never be totally safe, and the fact it's not is, yup, a major part of the adrenalin rush. To compare the risks and statistics of the two though is surely to be the Ostrich with it's head in the sand. Doug