Sign in to follow this  

I bought this carb for my S - Did I screw up?

Keihin 39mm FCR Carb YFZ450 450R 400EX LTZ400

http://www.linearrow.com/keihinfcr.jpg

-----------------------------------------

With this description:

This is a new take off carb, it includes a throttle position sensor. It will give large performance gains on a Honda 450r, Honda 400ex or Suzuki LTZ400. Works extremely well on big bore motors. Some ATVs may need additional parts or modification for fit, this is a large carburetor. FCRs are used by a large majority of motocross racers.

------------------------------------------

I searched for the other info I needed and here is the list of stuff from ron ayers I'm ordering:

-Clamp 09402-58208 $ 2.11

-Velocity Stack 13670-29F00 $ 21.58

-Gasket for fitting 09168-08016 $ .61

-Airbox boot 13881-29F00 $ 31.42

-Clamp 09402-60208 $ 2.00

-Vacuum fitting for head 13685-29F00 $ 4.54

-Intake Manifold 13111-29F00 $ 8.37

-Throttle cable set 58301-29F01 $ 32.19

am I missing anything?

i'm new myself to fcr's, but i believe you have the fcr mx there. i've read about a couple of tt'rs who made it work, but it seems most do not recommend it.

if i read right, it does not fit without mounting on an angle.

do a search on fcr mx or similar you may find who's running one.

Well, I'm not all that familar with the new FCR's. It looks OK but you will need to "custom " adapt it to a DRZ400. It is not the same carb as was used OEM by Suzuki.

I would not say it was a mistake but you are going to have to work out the details of making it fit a DRZ. What did it come off of? What did you pay for it?

You need to find out the spigot sizes of the carb and compare that to the DRZ FCR and see what matches up to use the DRZ boots and adpters.

I dunno what it came off of exactly. I paid about $300 for it.

Looks like I may have to dremel a bit which is not a problem - particularly considering I get to use the 'newer' carb design for the trouble.

I have a nice cart of stuff at Ron Ayers but I'm holding off on the checkout till I find out if I need something besides the list above. Takes six days to process the order!!!

Sudco makes a velocity stack that will fit in the stock S airboot, I used it when I did my FCR conversion. It will save you from buying the rear clamp, and the new airboot. The S airboot mouth is larger than the one on the E/K models for some reason.

That carb is from a YZF450 (Quad) I bought one from them as well, I have done all the fit work and bought the parts from the dealer for the E including the cables, the mods are, remove the TPS switch and the housing,drill and tap for the second cable you will have to slot it as well to get the cable in. there is a minor clearance issue on the small frame tube, it can be modified like the factory did where the stock carb is close, I bought a jet kit from JD and should have it running this weekend, where in Fla are you ? Depending on how handy you are it may be more work than you are wanting to do.The OEM style or the new early style from carb warehouse is a much easier fit but you already have this one, I will let you know how the rest goes.

Mike Bruns

Good info - I'm in Tallahassee.

None of that seems like it will be a problem. The part about drilling and tapping/slotting for the second cable....Is that the optional return pull throttle cable you are talking about(That burned did'nt use)?

Which JD kit did you use/why?

Thats Good ! I like to use the second cable mainly because throttles never stick shut, it was very easy to drill and tap for 6 mm and the slot I used a cutoff (Zizz wheel) to make a slice after the threads were tapped, the other issue is with removing the TPS console it contains the idle adj. screw, so now I need to find a 5mm x .50 tap so I can use the flex cable to set idle like the stock carb. Burned has recommended the JD kit several times and at the moment the EMM needles areout of stock and the JD comes with 2 choices and several jets, I bought a few pilot jets and a few pilot air jets the Kit # is JDS001 the price is around 65.00. I am doing a big bore kit 436, a set of cams, big valves, port work, FCR, pipe is on the way (Leo Vince) I am in the Winter Haven area and if you need any help let me know.

Mike Bruns JBRacing.com

That carb is from a YZF450 (Quad) I bought one from them as well, I have done all the fit work and bought the parts from the dealer for the E including the cables, the mods are, remove the TPS switch and the housing,drill and tap for the second cable you will have to slot it as well to get the cable in. there is a minor clearance issue on the small frame tube, it can be modified like the factory did where the stock carb is close, I bought a jet kit from JD and should have it running this weekend, where in Fla are you ? Depending on how handy you are it may be more work than you are wanting to do.The OEM style or the new early style from carb warehouse is a much easier fit but you already have this one, I will let you know how the rest goes.

Mike Bruns

Mind posting pictures of your mods to make this happen? I think I'll be doing the same stuff very shortly. Got mine for a less than $150 though :banghead:

MJB - 5mm .5?? are you sure. That is a verrry odd sze for 5mm. Could be, it is a special adjustment screw but it is a verrry odd size. Very fine.

I used those same parts you mentioned with the exception that I still have stock S throttle cable when I installed my FCRMX (from KTM450EXC '04). As ROUNDEYEHELMETHEAD said it must be tilted slightly to avoid hitting the frame.

I coulnd fit the return cable so I took it away, also had to take that throttle wheel cover off :banghead:

I'm using JD jet kit, blue needle with #155 main, #42 pj.

i'm about to do the same thing.i'm going to document mine with pics to help everyone else,it sound like you have the same carb i'm getting 39fcrmx.i hope everything works out :banghead:

Sudco makes a velocity stack that will fit in the stock S airboot, I used it when I did my FCR conversion. It will save you from buying the rear clamp, and the new airboot. The S airboot mouth is larger than the one on the E/K models for some reason.

Posting the Sudco part number for the velocity stack would probably help others as well as me on this forum. Thank you, Eric B. :banghead:

Nice.

So I have the FCR39MX even though it came off a quad it's identical to the one on my buddies 05' KTM 450EXC?

Is thats true it's actually good news - I'm hoping the newer design means I get the improved throttle pump that you don't need the aftermarket cover for.

If there is any reason besides the harder fit to not use this carb I'll sell it and just get the sudco or carb parts kit. I have been happy with ALL the advice I've gotten here and I'd rather buy another carb than be orphaned from the Oracle of Burned.

I think your only problem will be fitting. The MX has a vertical slide while the one on the E model has a slide at about 20 degrees from vertical. The slope of the slide means that the throttle pulley wheel is further forward giving more clearance from the DRZ's frame. The choke knob is also away from the petcock.

I'm just going through the same process although it's a long job as I can't order the airboot using the part numbers on www.drz.info because the UK has different part numbers. I've waited six weeks for the airboot, which arrived today, and even though I specified one for the E, I got the bigger outlet version, for the S.

Ian

Yep its 5x.50 verrry fine, I have not found a tap yet, we are a machine shop with alot of tool suppliers so far its an odd one. I will post some pics soon

Mike

I just picked up a new MX as well for about $225. Even with the fitment issues figured it was a better deal then getting a used older style and roll the dice of it needing rebuilding. I am wondering if there are multiple versions of the MX. Here is mine http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/biggsbikebarn/WBKN10032.jpg

Compared to the one in the first post the thottle cover is black plastic vs metal, and the choke looks to be shorter, but mine seems to be missing the TPS (which I was told was fine). Need to order a jet kit for it now, will post some pics once installed.