Help! How do you mount the stock tail light closer

I took the OEM tail light off and was hoping to mount it directly to the tail piece minus the 4" extension. I was stumped and put it back on the way it was. If you mount it flush the bulb sticks out and hits the back. If you flip it around now the light shines out the top instead of lighting up your plate.? Also the holes don't line up. :banghead:

Can someone please share their secret low profile flush mount install tips? I think it would look much better mounted up flush. I like the brightness of the stock unit but would just like to get it closer to the fender. :banghead:

You still need to flip the refector box for the bulb which sticks out the back to fit? Am I missing something here? If you do that, the part that lets the light shine towards you plate will be shining up :banghead:

After you flip the light housing over, flip the lens over too. I had to grind off the little nipples that were on the clear part of the lense so it would fit after flipping it but that only took two seconds on the grinder. hope this helps out......

After you flip the light housing over, flip the lens over too. I had to grind off the little nipples that were on the clear part of the lense so it would fit after flipping it but that only took two seconds on the grinder. hope this helps out......

OK before you flip the reflector.... Notice how the reflector is cupped in the normal postion and angled back to wards the bottom. This lets the light out for your license plate. When you flip it the reflector is now angled toward the top. I don't see how it will let the light shine through to the bottom?

At least we all agree it needs to be flipped. Are we just shining the fact that the plate in now not illuminated?

I thought about cutting down the spacer a bit to keep the reflector orientated the right way. But Suzuki in their infinite wisdom has prevented me from doing that by the way they molded the holes in there.

Why does everything have to be so difficult. :banghead:

I took a wood bit and drilled a hole in the black guard so that the back of the light bulb would poke through. Then I took electrical tape and wrapped around the wires. You will also want to buy some longer screws that hold the light on the guard.

This is what I may have to end up doing. Hate the thought of the socket hanging out there in the elements. Would be nice if we had the Euro tail light set-up over here instead.

May have to go to the Baja Designs LED setup. Really wish I could see a picture comparing the brightness to the OEM tail light before I plunked my money down.

I went as far as modding a Buell tail light. This was the same light used in the Baja Designs integrated blinker tail setup. After a bunch of work ended up putting the stock tail light back on as it just was not bright enough for my taste.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/2handy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=5c0c&.dnm=2910.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/2handy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=5c0c&.dnm=2dc0.jpg&.src=ph

Here's how mines done. Can't take full credit for it, The previous owner did it. Cut and bent a bracket for light, plate, and blinkers.

The bulb does stick through the bracket, as you can see in the second link, but I've had no problems with it yet(knock wood? ) I put the diamond plate under the LP cause he had it just hanging, and it started cracking. But now it's all good. :banghead:

Oh; and the plate light works fine, don't see why the reflector needs turned over :banghead:

I made a small bracket from light gauge metal and bent and welded it so the tail light and the blinkers could be mounted easily. I also made it so the license plate would mount below. Works great and doesn't collect as much mud. If you want pictures, you can PM me. I don't take many pictures of my bike, because I know what it looks like.

I know what your talking about. I cut the reflective (mirror) thing on the bottom in a shape (moon shaped) that allows the light to shine down through to the plate. Here's a pic, it's hard to see. Use a dremel with a cut off wheel on the mirror thing, works good.

Mike - :banghead:

Tailback2.jpg

I mounted mine with the oem orientation, but raised it enough that the rear of the socket sticks into the recess in the fender, then I pumped it full of silicone. Use the bushings in the mounting holes.

Now you will have a clearance problem- the lens will hit your blue (or yellow) fender. Simply remove the mounts for the lower black fender and insert two or three washers on each side as spacers. This cants the black fender slightly downward to allow clearance.

You will also want to take the rubber gasket found behind the reflector housinig and trim the center out of it with heavy scissors or tin snips, leaving a rectangular gasket. Use this gasket behind the reflector housing to get the socket spaced out enough that it will fit in the recess.

My buds all thought it was factory until I told them different.

I also removed the metal license plate bracket and mounted the plate to the existing holes in the black fender. Then I cut off the lower section of said fender, leaving only enough room to mount the oem reflector below the plate. Now you can see some serious tread and suspension travel when you are behind the bike (looks cool) haha.

• Like 1