Sign in to follow this  

First oil change top end noise

Hey guys, just turned 600 miles on my '06 DRZ 400s, went to dealer bought Suzuki oil and filter after changing oil per manual I have a helluva tick coming from the top end. I am an experienced rider and shadetree mechanic.

Oil level is right, proper filter, don't know what to think.

I assume you drained out about 2 quarts and added 2 quarts. Right? Replaced the filter and reused the "O" ring behind the filter? Take it to Suzuki for diagnossis.

many drz have some form of tappet tick , unless you sure it's outrageous I wouldn't worry about it if it runs good.

you'll probably get some valve recession over time and it may tighten and go away.

These are very loud bikes when it comes to top end clatter and tick. The best way to feel some comfort is to listen to another DRZ400 that's in a good state of tune. Then you'll have a base line for what sounds normal.

My engine is a bit noisy too. Everyone says they are noisy engines. Get yourself a yosh and you wont hear it as much.

I appreciate the input, but my point is I didn't have a tick this loud until I performed my first oil change. I'll probably haul it to the dealer and let them check it out. Thanks for the replies though.

Called the dealer today. Sevice Manager said as these engines break in they make a lot of different noises, if it gets worse bring it in, ride the heck out of it in the mean time.

I appreciate the input, but my point is I didn't have a tick this loud until I performed my first oil change. I'll probably haul it to the dealer and let them check it out. Thanks for the replies though.

Does Suzuki use break in oil? Maybe that is a different viscocity of what is in there now. Did you make any other changes like add a full skid plate. These have been known to amplify sounds not heard with the stock plate.

I was wondering if by some freak event the wrong oil was in the new container. Like it had shock oil or something. Do you have some of the new oil left over? How does it look? Pretty strange to have a noise right after changing the oil. I always thought break in oil was thin. Or maybe a faulty oil filter? Just to be safe I'd do the oil change again. Cheap piece of mind really.

Good idea on doing another oil change. Yes I have an extra quart of the Suzuki oil-looks like 10w40 to me. Maybe the filter is more restrictive than the original.

I did take it out last night and run it pretty hard. Believe it or not the tick is now barely audible.?? Strange!